shirataki noddles

Options
2»

Replies

• gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    They are definitely not pasta. I like them, though. As someone shared, when you are wanting quantity over quality, they fit the bill. I had good luck getting rid of the fishy smell by rinsing thoroughly and then drying with paper towels (laying out and drying). I think they are perfect with any strong sauce. Like someone else posted, these would PERFECT for stirfry! Very low calories, healthy and they bulk up what you're eating. I've made the pasta alfredo with these and laughing cow cheese (Hungry Girl recipe); I added chicken, some peas, and a bit of canadian bacon to make a carbonara and I loved it! They have these in my grocery store; check your larger grocery stores, versus just an Asian market. Good luck!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I have tried similar noodles- 2 different brands, and I like them. One kind is more annoying to make, Sea Tangle Kelp noodles . . you have to cook them in a sauce until they aren't all hard and crunchy. Sometimes I have success, sometimes I can't figure out what I did wrong. I also tried "No Oodle", those are already soft. I also saw "Miracle Noodle" online and would like to try them if I see them in a store.

I eat the kelp noodles by sea tangle. The secret is to soak them in lukewarm water with a tiny bit of lemon or vinegar for 30 minutes. After that, you can leave the unused portion soaking in the water (I use a pyrex container). Then all you have to do is sautee in the sauce until hot and flavor cooks in (around 10 min). It will be soft. I eat tofu shirataki as well and it's fine after some rinsing, seems to go over better in asian-style dishes.

I posted a kelp noodle spaghetti recipe in the recipe forum that was awesome :tongue: