Negative Net Calories

Options
So, after working out i now have -23 net calories, 1308 calories remaining. Do i HAVE to eat all of those?!?!? Seems like it would set me back if I did. I've gotten used to eating less. To eat more calories seems like a setback.

Replies

• Nataliethin81
    Nataliethin81 Posts: 315
    Options
    YES you do!
  • harls
    harls Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a lot of exercise... (Good for you!) I would try to maybe eat some fruit or something light at least -- you don't have to force yourself to eat if you really don't feel like it, but a light snack or meal would definitely help.
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    eat if you're hungry. if not, don't sweat it. maybe make up for it tomorrow or distribute the extra calories throughout the week. That's what I would do.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    So, after working out i now have -23 net calories, 1308 calories remaining. Do i HAVE to eat all of those?!?!? Seems like it would set me back if I did. I've gotten used to eating less. To eat more calories seems like a setback.

Yep. Eat your exercise calories back. Otherwise, your caloric intake for the day will be way too low.
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    If you don't your body will go into starvation mode and store your food as fat. It is a basic instinct to try and "save" you if it thinks you aren't eating enough.

It really is not a good idea to not eat them back. I was losing steadily and when I started upping my workouts and burning more calories, I decided I didn't need to eat them back thinking I would lose weight faster. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. My weight loss stalled and when I started eating them back-I started losing again. Seriously, it is the way our bodies work.

And who said eating is a bad thing?
  • snusp
    snusp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    So, after working out i now have -23 net calories

Wow, what did you do?
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    One low day isn't going to kill you. Try to get up to 800-1000 net calories if you can. 1200 net is ideal, but coming from someone who does a 10+ mile run once a week, I understand how hard it is to cram 2500 calories into your day and you really just don't want to cram non-nutritious calorie dense foods into your day. Look for good healthy fats (avocado/nuts are great!) to help you consume more calories. But honestly, just do the best you can.
  • jessebreanne
    Options
    You should always maintane a minimum of 1200 calories intake per day, that includes eating back your work out calories. This is because your body needs these just to run your vital organs, brain function etc.! Don't worry, you will still lose weight on 1200, but you might get sick, lethargic, and/or give up on eating an exercising if you feel crappy from eating too little. I have learned this the hard way :) Good luck.
  • FitMomma0722
    FitMomma0722 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Wow, what did you do?

Well, I had only eaten breakfast and lunch...then I burned 663 calories on my incline trainer. So i guess, technically I only have an additional 663 calories to eat.

lol no one...just dont want to fall back into my old ways.
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options

lol no one...just dont want to fall back into my old ways.
    [/quote]

Haha yeah that was just for fun, but I completely understand. Like I said, I wasn't eating them back and my weight loss slowed WAY down, and when I started eating more, I started losing again. Weird how it works but it does work.

Good luck! And nice burn!
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    No you do not have to eat you burned cals back. I ate my usual 1200 and maybe if I wanted something else to eat I did. I lost weight and in a short amount of time too. :wink: