De-Pudged Pigs in a Blanket

Options
Healthier_Me
Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
2453minidogs1.jpg

Hog Heaven!
This is one of our most fun swaps ever. These flaky-licious hot dog treats taste almost exactly like the real ones. Juicy franks are wrapped in decadent dough and oven-baked for the flaky, buttery taste of the authentic hors d'oeuvre we all know and love! Go for it...

Ingredients:
1 fat-free (or nearly fat-free) hot dog (like the ones by Oscar Mayer, Hebrew National and Ball Park)
1 portion Pillsbury Reduced Fat Crescent roll dough

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut hot dog into 4 even pieces. Stretch or roll out the triangle-shaped dough slightly, to make it a larger triangle. Cut dough into 4 long, narrow triangles. Beginning at the base of each triangle, roll a piece of the hot dog up in the dough until the point of each triangle wraps around the center. Place dogs on an ungreased baking pan and cook for about 12 minutes (until dough appears slightly browned and crispy). Enjoy!

Serving Size: 4 pieces (entire recipe)
Calories: 135
Fat: 5g
Sodium: 645mg
Carbs: 15g
Fiber: 0g
Sugars: 3g
Protein: 7.5g

*3 Points

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Options
    2453minidogs1.jpg

Hog Heaven!
    This is one of our most fun swaps ever. These flaky-licious hot dog treats taste almost exactly like the real ones. Juicy franks are wrapped in decadent dough and oven-baked for the flaky, buttery taste of the authentic hors d'oeuvre we all know and love! Go for it...

Ingredients:
    1 fat-free (or nearly fat-free) hot dog (like the ones by Oscar Mayer, Hebrew National and Ball Park)
    1 portion Pillsbury Reduced Fat Crescent roll dough

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut hot dog into 4 even pieces. Stretch or roll out the triangle-shaped dough slightly, to make it a larger triangle. Cut dough into 4 long, narrow triangles. Beginning at the base of each triangle, roll a piece of the hot dog up in the dough until the point of each triangle wraps around the center. Place dogs on an ungreased baking pan and cook for about 12 minutes (until dough appears slightly browned and crispy). Enjoy!

Serving Size: 4 pieces (entire recipe)
    Calories: 135
    Fat: 5g
    Sodium: 645mg
    Carbs: 15g
    Fiber: 0g
    Sugars: 3g
    Protein: 7.5g

*3 Points
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    WOW--I was all for going now and buying what I need to make these. They look great! And I loved the 135 calories for 4 of them!! But the sodium content is too high for me. :grumble: Maybe I could just do 2 of them......
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    They look so cute! :laugh:
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am drooling :happy:
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am drooling :happy:
  • luvchi3
    luvchi3 Posts: 167
    Options
    that is an awesome idea, you don't know how much i love those little things, so sad i could eat (and probably have) a hundred of those at one time. never even thought of doing them a healthier way. thanks for the recipe
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    yum! good idea, thanks for sharing :)

My husband will love it (but will probably want more than 4) and he's not even notice/know they were better for him
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Very welcome everyone... enjoy!:flowerforyou:
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    These look so good ! I will definately be making them. Thanks!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Very welcome... enjoy!:bigsmile:
  • pinktoque
    Options
    woooo we're making these tonight for our poker party :) Using chicken dogs instead -- couldn't find turkey ones :( But I'm sure they'll be yummy!

Thanks again for sharing :)
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Very welcome!
    I want some:ohwell:
  • pinktoque
    Options
    Photos!!

We made these with chicken dogs and couldn't find low fat/fat free crescents but did find whole wheat ones:

chicken_wheat_croissant_pigsinab-1.jpg

We made x2 trays and served these last night as appetizers at our poker night to our friends and they LOVED them. They were gone so fast! And no one even knew how much healthier they were for them than normal pigs in a blanket and no one could tell a taste difference, either!

chicken_wheat_croissant_pigsinablan.jpg

1 crescent package and 1 hot dog package (8 hot dogs) with each triangle/dog cut into 4 yielded 32 of these little babies, which was perfect for an event appetizer tray :) Thanks again, Healthier_Me!!

Thumbs WAY up!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Yay!!!!
    You are very welcome :bigsmile:
    They look yummy:smile:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    And yet another recipe to add to my collection! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Very welcome LL:bigsmile: