Tips on cutting Sodium?

Options
I have never really paid attention to sodium... ever. I don't salt my food often, but according to my diary I obviously eat foods that blow past the recommended 2500mg.

Do you have any tips or tricks to cut out extra sodium? Any food swaps? Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I have never really paid attention to sodium... ever. I don't salt my food often, but according to my diary I obviously eat foods that blow past the recommended 2500mg.

Do you have any tips or tricks to cut out extra sodium? Any food swaps? Any advice is appreciated!

I've been paying closer attention to my sodium and there are days I am WAYYY over. So, any advice would be great! For example: I love cottage cheese, but it has a tremendous amt of sodium in it.,
  • kate_newlifestyle
    Options
    Tips for keeping sodium down:

- Avoid crisps and pretzels.
    - If you really love nuts, go for the unsalted ones
    - Taste your food before adding salt. I just never add salt. Its safer that way. Most people suggest, if you really need salt, only put it on plain things, like plain potatos, not in burgers and pastas, as they often already have salt, and you wont taste the difference that much anyway
    - Replace salt with herbs and spices
    - Try and get low sodium alternatives, especially for soups: Campbells is notorious for high sodium levels. Many things now come in salt reduced alternatives, like peanut butter and other spreads
    - Eating out & low sodium usually dont mix. Some meals out have your entire intake in them
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Cut out the processed foods! That's the best way to cut down on your sodium. Eat more clean food. Fruits and veggies. Lean meats.
  • aml17
    aml17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    processed foods are horribleee in sodium. I don't eat frozen dinners for dinner or lunch at all anymore because they're soo high.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Tips for keeping sodium down:

- Avoid crisps and pretzels.
    - If you really love nuts, go for the unsalted ones
    - Taste your food before adding salt. I just never add salt. Its safer that way. Most people suggest, if you really need salt, only put it on plain things, like plain potatos, not in burgers and pastas, as they often already have salt, and you wont taste the difference that much anyway
    - Replace salt with herbs and spices
    - Try and get low sodium alternatives, especially for soups: Campbells is notorious for high sodium levels. Many things now come in salt reduced alternatives, like peanut butter and other spreads
    - Eating out & low sodium usually dont mix. Some meals out have your entire intake in them

This is all great! I haven't added salt to anything in years, but instead, I add pepper, haha. I'm addicted to pepper!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I got rid of all the lean cuisines and other frozen meals. Now I buy brown rice, chicken breasts, whole wheat pastas and make my own dinners the night before. I can now stay around 1,000 to 1,500 mg.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Stay away from processed foods. They are unbelievably high in sodium. Cook with as many fresh foods as you can. If you buy canned things, buy the low sodium version. Even frozen dinners and that kind of thing are SUPER high in sodium. I make meals ahead, freeze them and use those as my "pre-prepared" lunches.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Processed meats, like deli meats, have quite a bit of sodium in them. Same for most processed foods, especially anything canned. Trail mix can also be a culprit, because of the salt on the nuts. Try looking for a mix with no salt added.

You just have to be weary of all foods and READ LABELS! Compare different packages to see what has lower levels of fats, carbs, sodium, etc. Find the one that has the best balance of what you need.
  • kate_newlifestyle
    Options
    I've been paying closer attention to my sodium and there are days I am WAYYY over. So, any advice would be great! For example: I love cottage cheese, but it has a tremendous amt of sodium in it.,

I love cootage cheese too. I buy only friendship 1% no salt added or Fresh Made farmer cheese. But if I eat for example another brand that has tremendous amt of sodium I try to watch sodium during the day. And I almost never go over 2000 mg
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I find the biggest thing is having all natural foods, no prepackaged foods like Lean Cuisines or anything like that. I'm never over on my sodium and I think that is why. My weakness is sugar, and I'm ALWAYS over on that. lol.

And also you have to make all your stuff at home. Even going to Subway for lunch will probably put you over. Good luck!!
  • koizumi6
    koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My dad has healthy problems where he has to watch his sodium levels very closely...
    1. rinsing can goods extremely well (canned beans and veggies etc) are packed with sodium
    2. cheese and deli meats are high in sodium, go for red sodium if you can (they also have AHA approved deli meats)
    3. replace salt with spices! my dad mixes a bunch of spices together and keeps shakers of them instead of salt
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    It depends on where the bulk of the sodium is coming from.

For me, I used to love Rice A Roni, Hamburger Helper and jars of spaghetti sauce, which are loaded in sodium. So instead I make plain brown rice, or add a little bit of some kind of sauce, dressing or marinade to give it more flavor. I like Ronzoni Smart Taste pastas, because they have extra protein & fiber, and again, use separate sauces for flavor, instead of the salty powdered junk that comes with the Helpers. And I use pureed canned tomatoes with some seasoning and garlic instead of jars of marinara.

I also don't bother with the Lean Cuisines and other microwave diet dinners anymore. If I make something from scratch using a little bit of chicken or shrimp and some fresh or frozen veggies, I can duplicate the meals, but eat a lot more for the same calories and less sodium.

Frozen veggies have way less sodium than canned. Sometimes it's more cost effective to buy frozen than fresh.

I do splurge on frozen pizzas every once in a while. I love them, and one pizza feeds my husband and myself for around five bucks. I just try to only have them several days before my "weigh-day."
  • kate_newlifestyle
    Options
    Also I use Mrs. Dash seasonings. They give you that salty taste without ANY salt! Go stock up on all the flavors! :smile:

Another tip: when you use salt in or on your food try sea salt, which has lower sodium and more flavor.
  • fishermanwife
    Options
    a few of the foods that have helped my sodium numbers go down are snyders salt free pretzels, jello mouse temptations, celery, brocoli, cauliflower, dove sugar free chocolates, good luck
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    No processed foods - eat raw as much as possible. That way, when you do go out to eat, you have made up for it the rest of the week. Have you met Mrs Dash? She is wonderful and comes in a million flavors. I have to buy more, I only have the table blend.

Also, don't buy frozen dinners. Instead, spend an hour or so on Sunday prepping for the week. I made 8 chicken breasts on the grill yesterday when I made my salmon. I will use them for salad, sandwhiches, tortillas, etc during the week.

Anything that comes from the earth doesn't have sodium - fruits/nuts, veggies, lean meats (chicken/fish)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    If you use canned foods look for no salt canned veggies,especially tomatoes. Jar sauses and salted butter are high too. Do not eat frozen pizza and dinners. Although lean cusine spa cusine has some lower salt options. Look for low or no salt breads, Alvarado St Bakery has a good organic no salt bread. Make your food from scratch if possible with as many whole foods as possible. Because even whole foods contain some sodium.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat tv dinners anymore. Maybe once in a great while at work for lunch.

I do eat some lunchmeat - perhaps I need to look and see if they offer lower sodium versions?

I don't salt my food. Never have.

I'm shocked at the amt in cottage cheese or canned tuna - which I love to eat.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I looked through your diary a bit but you're not tracking sodium at the moment so I couldn't see what you're averaging. I did notice some fast food though (subway, taco bell, Chic-Fil-a). Fast food is usually packed with sodium so that might be your culprit right there.

Things I do to avoid sodium:

1. No processed foods. If it comes out of a box then it's probably got a ton of sodium in it. Foods like Lean Cuisine or even canned vegetables can contain a bunch of sodium. I try to prepare more food at home instead of relying on frozen / canned foods.

2. If I'm cooking at home I use a lot of Mrs. Dash seasonings. A lot of them have little to no sodium in them and you can use them to add flavor to all sorts of dishes.

3. Look for "no salt added" or "reduced sodium" labels on the foods that you already buy. A lot of times there will be an option with less salt but you have to look for it.

4. Really try to limit fast food. If you have to get it then try to keep some foods in mind that will be the best option. For example I love Qdoba but if I want to eat it then I have to plan ahead for it.

5. You will find a lot of sodium in breads. If you order a sandwich don't eat the roll or eat only half of it. Kaiser rolls, bagels, sandwich breads all have a ton of sodium.

Hope that helps! There are more but this will give you a good start.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys this is great!