HRM question / help

Options
Ok this might sound silly but used my hrm for the first time today, pressed the start button at the beginning of the class and stop at the end - it told me I'd burnt 624 calories. Sounds simple enough however some people talk about wearing it continually to get the 'after burn' effects. I'm really confused, did I do something wrong?

xx

Replies

• laurenlei
    laurenlei Posts: 96
    Options
    Sometimes you carry on burning calories while you 'cool down'. I tend to leave mine on for another 5-10 minutes after exercise (depending on how vigerous it was) as im still burning calories. For example, i do a 2hour Zumba class every Sunday burning just under 1200... however i burn an extra 30 cals just cooling down after. It wont make much difference, so i wouldnt worry about it!!!
  • hypergrl
    hypergrl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm so confused on my HRM too. I'm going to have to sit down with a magnifying glass and the little booklet to figure it out. :) I hope that you can get an answer cuz I'm going to be checking in to see. :)
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Without getting into the science of it: all they are talking about with after burn is the fact that (depending on the workout), even when you've stopped exercising, your body will continue burning calories for the next while. Yesterday i did kettlebell swings. I probably burned about 150 calories in the few short minutes that i was actually swinging, and then for the next 45 minutes or so burned about 100 or so more while i was eating a sandwich upstairs.

Basically just keep your HRM on after your workout & cooldown & see if you continue to burn.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    As soon as I stop doing my exercise I stop my HRM.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I suppose that's one way to do it. I turn mine off immediately and figure I probably balance it out with small inaccuracies in my food diary. (Okay, that might have been a smidge over the 1/2 c.)

It's also hard to know when the 'after burn' is done and you are back on normal calorie burn.

You have to decide what works for you.

1Horsetown
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am a persnal trainer, and I tell my clients to wear their hrm until their heart rates return to the 100-110's range then turn it off.