Need a swift kick!

Options
So, in the month of April I only lost 4 pounds. I had two days in the whole month that were less than stellar. One was a Phillies game my wife and I went to and the other was one day in Washington DC where we ate less healthy than we normally do. Between Jan 1st and April 1st I had lost 54 pounds. Now I know that your first couple of months go fairly easily and you tend to lose muscle mass and fat. I am sure in the first 2 months when I lost about 43 pounds this was the case. In March I lost 11 pounds and I started cardio 6 days a week with one rest day.

What I don't understand is this month I started weight training 2-3 times a week in addition to cardio 6 times a week with one day of rest and I only lost 4 pounds for the month. Why? I have cleaned up my diet even more than in March with the exception being those two days and I have steadily increased my cardio and I am now at 46 minutes a day. I use a HIIT with the cardio (3 mins moderate, 2 minutes high intensity) for 41 minutes out of the 46. The strength training is a mix of free weights, circuit training, and machine that my trainer has me doing. I am getting 16-18 glasses of water a day. I just don't get it...

I'm almost thinking of starting P90X a month early. Last time I did that I lost 28 pounds in 50 days and I didn't even follow it 100%. The other thing I'm considering is going close to a Primal type diet. I ran something closer to that last time I did P90X. I really think my increase in carbs may have something to do with it. I know most of my carbs come from veggies and fruits as it is right now with a bit coming from things like yogurt, Arnold wheat sandwich thins, etc... Thinking of eliminating all bread, even wheat and possibly even trying to limit carbs to 100-150 grams a day. Not sure I can, but I can try!

If I don't do P90X, I think I should at least get my trainer to focus me on circuit like training, HIIT, and MRT...

I know 4 pounds is good, but with about 52 pounds to go to my goal, I am pretty sure it is possible to get back to 2 pounds of weight loss a week!

Thoughts? Ideas? *kitten* kicking is welcome! Maybe I'm just being hard on myself?

Replies

• gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    u can do it!!! a change in ur exercise sounds like a good place to start. maybe switch up your food too? don't be discouraged. u got this!!! :)
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    You are being hard on yourself! What happened to feeling good all around? I understand where you are coming from, honest I do. However, where is the credit for what you have already accomplished? I thought the goal was to strive towards a healthy lifestyle. These changes you are strategizing about seem to be something that is temporary? I am all for doing things here and there to accelerate weightloss.. Is that what you are considering?

As someone posted to me on Saturday, you have already accomplished what many hope to do. Slow and steady wins the race... You are eating healthy, you are active in a way that will produce weightloss. Think of some of the things that changed in the last month. You have shed a lot of weight, give your body a chance to assimulate.

You are doing awesome! Don't get caught up and lose sight of what is important. Longterm changes, making changes that you can sustain and will equal health, wealth, and soul .. for the long haul.

Take another week or two and see what happens -then maybe change your strategy.

I only lost 3lbs during April - I lost 36lbs from jan-April.. I started exercising in April and only shed 3lbs. I bet when I take photos and measurements on Saturday.. I will be motivated to keep going..

You are doing awesome - keep going strong!
  • Skolls081102
    Skolls081102 Posts: 184
    Options
    My guess....you are putting on Muscle Mass. And not just a little. Do you do measurements? You might be losing inches (and toning your muscle) while shedding fat. But your muscle mass is counter acting the fat loss. I think maybe less weight training, or at the least weight training to tone, not build muscle. You got this. Think about the last month. What majorly have you changed. Eating healthier doesn't seem like it would cause the weight gain. Strength training on the other hand sounds like it would definitley slow your weight loss. Talk to the trainer (you're paying them good money!) Lol. Do not get discouraged. You just need to tweak something. You will figure it out.

Ever think of doing Insanity? Its HIIT - unlike P90x which seems to be more strength. You saw my numbers. I've dripped a decent amount of weight from it.

Please excuse all typos as I am doing this from my phone...lol
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas my friends! You bring up a lot of valid points! I figured I gained some muscle, but I don't think I gained the difference of 11 and 4 pounds.. That would be 7 pounds of muscle.. I'm not lifting for bulking purposes..

Anyone else have any other thoughts? My diary for food and exercise are open to the public.