knee pain

Options
Katrob9
Katrob9 Posts: 431 Member
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. I'm getting some knee pain, nothing serious, just twinges. I think it is because I've gone from no exercise to doing the 30 day shred plus 40-60 minutes walking per day.

Anyone got any advice on what I can do to ease the knee twinges?

Replies

• ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you bought exercise shoes? You might find a new pair will clear it up, since it's mostly twinges.
  • justaa
    justaa Posts: 2
    Options
    It would depend on what is causing the pain. If it's arthritis (like me) I'm told I will need knee replacement eventually. They at first thought I had a meniscus (sp) tear, which means you may want to take it easy and see your doctor to prevent further injury.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on it but you might want to get it looked at by a doctor or physio sooner rather than later.
    Make sure you are stretching (read up and do it right), look at some exercises to strengthen the leg muscles that support your knee and don't keep working on it if the pain increases.
    Ive been ignoring knee pain since January but its got worse, now i have inflamed tendons - which should settle soon, according to my physio but its frustrating because I've just got going running and don't want to stop!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself. Ice the knee...and keep in mind, that going full force and suffering an injury will only take you out of the game, so to speak. Everything in moderation....
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I developed knee pain from running a lot, for me it's caused by patellar tendinitis. Here's a description if you think it might be the same thing: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/patellar-tendinitis/DS00625

Essentially it's caused by a weakness in my quads, so the three things I do are:
    -Do exercises to strengthen my quads, particularly leg extensions;
    -Wear a strap under my knee to divert more blood flow to my quads;
    -Stretch my quads every time I exercise.

Since I've started this routine I've had very few problems. Hope that helps!
  • simonjstevens
    Options
    Get a knee support, also check your shoes/Trainers your tracking is probably out on your knee. Do you have high arches? if you do you need to support them. if you don't they will collapse as you walk. your foot compensates for this and typically new pressure its transferred to the knee. if your looking at your right knee and the pain is on the right hand side. The outside, thats probably the problem.

also if you have high heals and i am not talking girls shoes :laugh: that can add pressure on the knee as well. You should rest it tho let it repair.

cheers
  • Katrob9
    Katrob9 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do have high arches and, at the moment, I do the 30 day shred bare foot and most of the walking I do is with the shoes I wear to work (flat shoes) or trainers but not proper athletic trainers.

So, top on my list of things to do tomorrow isbuy a proper pair of running shoes.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I do have high arches and, at the moment, I do the 30 day shred bare foot

I found that doing exercise videos and Wii fitness games barefoot in my living room caused me trouble - my floor, even with carpeting, isn't cushion-y enough. Now I always wear shoes (except for the Wii Fit because of the board), and the pain is going away.