How many calories per workout?

Options
Like i was commenting to my friends...my bf told me that my 600 calorie burn a day at the gym is not enough thats why im not loosing. Anyone agree? Im exhausted by the time im done. How many calories should a workout be. I know some calories are better than no calories but more than 600 really?!

Replies

• Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    What is your diet like? 70% of weight loss is from what you put in your mouth.
    If you are doing that much work at the gym and not losing any weight, it would be worth having a good look at your food/drinks.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to burn 600? Are you sure the count is accurate?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I almost never get over 700 in a workout. 600 is plenty to lose weight if you aren't eating more than that to compensate.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    600 is WAY more than I burn, and I have been losing weight just fine.

I work out and burn from 200-300, when I go for long runs it is 350-450 calories burned. I can never reach the huge numbers I see others burning.

I focus instead on eating healthy choices, small portions, and staying under my calorie goal each and every day (not recently though, doh!) The biggest challenge in weight loss is the food. Focus on food, then on activity. In all actuality, you don't NEED to burn ANYTHING extra other than being alive to lose weight. Just eat well.
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    I don't see how 600 wouldn't be enough, that's a great burn for a workout. You burn more calories the more you weigh also.

I usually burn anywhere from 400-1300 calories in a workout. (1300 only if I workout super hard)
    I generally burn 100 calories every 10 minutes of cardio.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    you may need to train smarter, not harder. And your diet may not be helping too.

I have shaken a lot of plateaus by changing things, from diet, to the time I eat the kinds of foods I need, to exercise, changing intensity and workouts and adding rest days. If your body is doing the same thing over and over (like 600 calories every day on a crosstrainer) it has probably adapted and now doesnt shake it anymore.

If nothing changes, nothing changes. you need to be prepared to do something different that will shake your body up! I've done it and succeeded :)
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I burn on avg. 500-800 cals and one big day of 1000+ cals and I feel like I'm a beast. You are doing great I'm going to go creep on your diary if I can and see if I can give you any advice. Also are you wearing a HRM to calculate this or the gym machines?
  • PrincessBTits
    PrincessBTits Posts: 198
    Options
    I burn minimum 700 and maximum 2000. Anything above zero, depending on what you are eating, is going to help you lose weight.
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories for you to be able to work out like you do?
  • gldnhthr
    gldnhthr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I burn over 600 per day at the gym which changes my total caloric intake to over 1800. Am I supposed to then eat 1800? Or still eat 1200 and I've burned half my food for the day??
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM and I am lucky if I hit 450. Make sure your calories you are burning are correct. If you are eating them back like you should be, then you need to make sure they are accurate. That could be why you are not losing weight. Your exercise calories are over estimated.

I lost weight when I went by the calorie count on the machine or my HRM, but when I used the ones from MFP I actually gained weight that week. It has been the only week I gained so far. (knock on wood) Don't want to jynx myself.
  • sirphilipe
    sirphilipe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    On average I burn approximately 650 Calories per hour, but only do on average about 30 - 40 mins per day.

I think it is more important how much, you are eating and drinking lots of water.
  • sirphilipe
    sirphilipe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I burn over 600 per day at the gym which changes my total caloric intake to over 1800. Am I supposed to then eat 1800? Or still eat 1200 and I've burned half my food for the day??

I like to go half way. eat around 1500. Treat yourself with those extra calories...
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    If you work out every day for 500 calories, you will burn one pound off every 7 days, statistically. Now, a lot of dieting like everyone has said is what you eat. So if you eat well and continue exercising you will lose the weight.
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    I burn anywhere from 200-1500 calories depending on how hard and long I work out. I also have one long run and hard work out a week and the rest are average work outs for me. My husband is a personal trainer and he told me to eat back 1/2 of my exercise calories, plus all that are alloted during the day. Definitely wear a HRM, keep track of what exercises you do. Good luck!
  • Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I hope im recording correctly. I use the ones the machines at the gym say... I enter weight and age n it gives me the calories. I do eat junk though :( i am workin on that but i stay under my daily calories. I have been eating my workout calories but its not working i guess i have to switch things up. I kinda do the same routine as well so it makes sense to change things
  • gldnhthr
    gldnhthr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much!!:happy:
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is mainly food and exercise is just the "icing" on the cake. I also don't eat my exercise calories.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I only do the Shred DVD, so I don't even reach 150 calories! I only started that after reaching my goal weight, and until then walking was my only exercise, but I still lost the weight. When I was on 1200 calories I logged everything as exercise and ate it all back and STILL lost weight. Eat less than you need and you will lose weight. I saw short spells of hunger (between waking up and breakfast, for example) as proof that I was achieving that. Are you hungry?
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I posted something similar to this. My gf thinks anything less than 500 calories isn't a good burn for her.
    I really depends on how you feel. I burn 100-200 calories less than her. I figure some is better than nothing. I burn anywhere from 200-400. I try to at least get 300.

I suggest getting a HRM (heart rate monitor) with chest strap. Its the best investment towards working out you can get.