high-cal healthy food or low-cal junk food?

Options
cupotee
cupotee Posts: 181 Member
Going out to eat tonight, and the restaurant's online menu does not look friendly haha

If you HAD to choose, which would you eat? Say the "junk" food was 300 cals, nutrient-empty, but delicious and the "healthy" food was 700 cals, full of veggies/protein, and not so delicious?

Lets say the healthy food is 2x as expensive as the junk.

:/ Anyone else hate having to balance taste, nutritiousness, calories, and price when buying food?

Replies

• rakelros
    rakelros Posts: 67
    Options
    When I go out to eat, I don´t really worry.
    I don´t go out a lot, so when I do, I really want to enjoy myself.
    Order what you really really want, and log it, then redouble your efforts tomorrow, that´s my advice :)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Split the healthy/hi-calorie meal in two. Eat one tonight and have the other for lunch! :glasses:
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Split the healthy/hi-calorie meal in two. Eat one tonight and have the other for lunch! :glasses:

Hmm.. *rubs chin and that'll get me two meals for the price of one... :drinker: winner winner skinless chicken dinner! But the healthy entre is a salad... will that keep? GUH
  • squeaktones
    squeaktones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i go out just about every weekend. i try to exercise extra on the days that i indulge. if not i play catch up during the week. i am guilty of not being a slave to nutrition all the time. i eat sweets and the occasional french fry and ice cream so maybe am not the best to comment. i just try for the most part to stay in my alloted calories and sometimes eat all my exercise caloires too. don't deprive yourself. there is going to come a time when you hit your goal weight and you are just going to go nuts for the things you didn't have. i did that and regained weight twice and more both times. this time i am eating what i want just less of it.
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Hmm.. *rubs chin and that'll get me two meals for the price of one... :drinker: winner winner skinless chicken dinner! But the healthy entre is a salad... will that keep? GUH

Divide it before you add any dressing. That will help it keep. :)
  • sliceofsarah
    sliceofsarah Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Why not just order the "junk food" and then eat a side salad with it (easy on the dressing/croutons of course)? It could be a win-win.
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    When I go to a restaurant - I will usually split a not so healthy appetizer with the whomever I am with (this gives me the feeling of eating something bad/but good)..and then I order my meal from the healthy menue....You get a little of both worlds...I also make sure I get a great workout in that day so calories don't really matter (aim to burn what you plan to eat during that meal)...
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Going out is a 'treat' as far as I am concerned. I have 300 empty calories from one mixed drink, and another 300 for the second. If you don't do this frequently, then it's OK. If you make this your pattern, then you have to evaluate yourself a bit.

Eat nutritious, tasty meals the rest of the week, splurge tonight.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    When I go out to eat, I don´t really worry.
    I don´t go out a lot, so when I do, I really want to enjoy myself.
    Order what you really really want, and log it, then redouble your efforts tomorrow, that´s my advice :)

yep if it is an occassional occurence- enjoy what you like--remember it is not just a 24 hour change it is a long haul change- just balance it out the next day or so with NO GUILT!!!!
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I don't eat at places that can't make healthy food tasty. Honestly, healthy food IS tasty. You really have to screw it up to make it bad and bland.

And if I do want to eat junk, I try to go on a day where I worked out hard, at least to balance the calories out a bit.
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    I agree divid the salad in 2. Most of the time they are MASSIVE! also I would suggest have the dressing on the side. then just lightly dip your fork in the dressing before you take a bite. You will find you will hardly use any and will save a TON on calories and will taste the same. I do that everyday for my lunch and only use 1 tablespoon.
  • petersoc
    petersoc Posts: 3
    Options
    Low -cal junk food all the way! Is this wrong of me?

That's how I lost the first 50 lbs before joining myfitneespal.com
    Will that keep working?