What the crap, Sodium?

Options
Seriously, every single day I go over in Sodium. I don't know how, it seems like everything I eat is packed with it. So I guess my questions are:

1. How do I get it down?
2. Can I exercise it off?
3. Is there anything out there that won't put me over the sodium limit?

It's hard too, because I live at college, so my food is whatever they have at the dining halls, which means I don't have a say in how it's prepared. Any help would be great!!!

Replies

• pilotdrew
    pilotdrew Posts: 14
    Options
    I am usually over on sodium as well. The Lean Cuisne, Healthy Choice, etc. frozen meals are terrible for it and unfortunately I eat a lot of those.
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    There are days that I go over too...I am always looking for some low sodium options as it seems like so much of food has sodium in it! Hopefully there will be some good suggestions here!
    :smile:
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    Yep me too! Today for example, I have over 400 calories to eat but I am over in sodium already!
  • lhurtubise
    lhurtubise Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider making your own meals that way you know what's in it. Good luck
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    It's realllllllly tough.

The best way to avoid salt is to eat as close to nature as you. Think fresh fruits, vegetables, lean proteins. Avoiding processed foods is really key - just about anything in a box, a can, or a package is going to be loaded.

Eating on campus is going to make it super tough. You have age on your side, so if you're not suffering from high blood pressure or other health issues, you may have a little more wiggle room than others. Drink extra water will also help flush out some of the sodium.

Best of luck!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Drink a ton of water to flush it out of your system.
    I remember what living in a dorm was like, and I know how awful the food can be. Thats why for most of my meals I stuck with a salad.
  • Melk967
    Melk967 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When you eat snacks, do you tend to go for packaged or processed foods? Try snacking on fruit or veggies when you get cravings for chips, crackers, etc. Perhaps even have a small salad with your dinner, and eat it first. That way you'll fill up on veggies and eat less of whatever else you picked out (just don't overdo the dressing :)). However if you do feel like eating some salty snacks, opt for nuts, popcorn, and pretzles!
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    choose as much unprepared food as you can...fresh fruit and salads...use oil and vinegar dressings.
    drink water...just try your best.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it MUCH easier to stay under on sodium now that I am taking a break from milk products like cheese and yogurt. Just a thought. Hope it helps.
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Everyday I am under my sodium by 900 mg but I think that's because I have cut out processed food completely and make all my meals. I am a stay at home mom though so I have a choice. Can you pack your own lunch or meals?
  • MZNIKKIBOO
    MZNIKKIBOO Posts: 190
    Options
    IM ALWAYS OVER ON MY SODIUM TOO! FROM WHAT IVE FOUND OUT READING ON IT ALOT CAN COME FROM SANDWICH MEAT WHICH TO ME A TURKEY SAND IS BETTER THEN A BURGER BUT THEN I RUN INTO THIS PROBLEM. ONE SUGGESTION I FOUND WAS TO COOK YOUR MEATS YOU'D LIKE TO USE FOR SANDWICH (CHICKEN BREAST-TURKEY ETC) AND SLICE THEM - WAY LESS SODIUM.

ALSO ONE ARTICLE SAID IF YOU INTAKE MORE SODIUM DRINK MORE WATER .

NOT TO KNOWLEDGEABLE IN THIS CATEGORY BUT HOPE YOU GET SOME GOOD REPLIES AS I COULD USE SOME ADVICE ON THIS ISSUE TOO ;-) GOOD POST
  • AndyAt160lbs
    AndyAt160lbs Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes water is the key drink double what is "Normal" so like 16 glasses a day it you are drink enough water if you are over on sodium it won't matter the water will flush it out.
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I would try preparing your own meals if you can, at least try and prepare some of them. Eating in the cafeteria can't be good. Try and stay away from packaged food, I've found that it's loaded with sodium. Drink TONS of water, this will help flush it out.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's not going to be easy as you don't have the option to cook your own food. But, there are a few things you can do:
    - try to avoid things that are obviously high in sodium (like bacon, ham, deli meats etc).
    - Look for things that are less processed - can you choose a piece of chicken or roast meat rather than a crumbed (breaded) version etc
    - You can control your snacks - make them unprocessed - fruit, nuts, etc.
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Water flushes out the sodium! Try your best to eat less packaged foods and such, but if you will feel too deprived and just eat like crazy eventually, then don't worry about it! Go for 12 glasses of water a day at LEAST!!!! <3
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    cut out processed foods:smile:
  • dadoo26
    dadoo26 Posts: 5
    Options
    Stay away from processed foods like "Lean..." anything. They are loaded with salt!!! Fresh fruit and vegetables instead and eat very little food that is ready right out of the box. I guarantee you will be under every day. AND drink H20
  • clevering
    clevering Posts: 2
    Options
    So tough when you are on a college meal plan. If it's too hard to supplement those meals with fresh fruits & veggies (I remember college all too well and the inconvenience of such perishables), consider protein bars & protein drinks which come pre-packaged (convenient & long shelf life!) and add a lot of other nutritional benefits, too (that extra protein & calcium that is sometimes hard to come by). But even some of these products can be full of sodium, so choose carefully. Example Muscle Milk light 8.25oz box drink has 280mg (12% daily total) or Premier Nutrition double chocolate crunch bar has 330mg (14%). If used as actual meal replacements, these sodium counts are quite low. For in-between meal "snacks" eating half a bar, for example, would be an acceptable range of sodium intake. Start reading labels on everything you can, and if the cafeteria you have to eat out of doesn't post nutritional information, you should inquire about why and how to get it posted. You might start a healthier eating revolution on campus!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i keep my sodium at the American Heart Associations recommended intake of 1500mg a day.

- stay away from canned foods, such as canned veggies
    - stay away from frozen dinners and heavily processed snacks
    - incorporate more fresh fruit, vegetables, meats and fish into your diet
    - dont use the salt shaker...put it down...and walk away

*edit* check out my food diary if you need ideas