Treadmill Triumph!!

Options
I know this is a small insignificant amount to a lot of you fitness fanatics and jogging enthusiasts but coming from someone with a serious fear of treadmills and running in general, this is big stuff...

I ran non-stop for 30 minutes today. A total distance of 3.3 miles. NON-STOP! I didn't hit the emergency button, I didn't keel over clasping my heart and refusing to go another step, I didn't come up with a reason/excuse to stop, I just kept going! And I even notched up the speed for the last 3 or 4 minutes so that I would clear the 3mile mark. (Well I was actually in metric so I was trying to get to 5.5km- sounds a lot more impressive eh? :smile: )

I am so proud of myself... :happy:

Replies

• shivers
    shivers Posts: 53
    Options
    I know this is a small insignificant amount to a lot of you fitness fanatics and jogging enthusiasts but coming from someone with a serious fear of treadmills and running in general, this is big stuff...

I ran non-stop for 30 minutes today. A total distance of 3.3 miles. NON-STOP! I didn't hit the emergency button, I didn't keel over clasping my heart and refusing to go another step, I didn't come up with a reason/excuse to stop, I just kept going! And I even notched up the speed for the last 3 or 4 minutes so that I would clear the 3mile mark. (Well I was actually in metric so I was trying to get to 5.5km- sounds a lot more impressive eh? :smile: )

I am so proud of myself... :happy:
  • food_junkie
    Options
    Thats awesome! I used to be the EXACT same way and now I just don't feel right if I don't get a run in!

Yay for you :flowerforyou:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    wow!! Thats great!! I can JOG maybe 1 km then I die hahahaha Mind you that was quite a few months ago. Awesome job!!
  • Baigle2003
    Options
    30 minutes is a long time to me also! You just ran your 1st 5K and that is big! Congrats!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Keep up the good work...pretty young lady :)
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    That is GREAT! I am very happy for you! :)

I hope to work up to running a few miles myself (see "Proud of myself" thread in the general boards!:laugh:

GO GIRL!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • shivers
    Options
    Aw thanks for the support you guys!!! :flowerforyou:

I'm just so proud of myself, I've never seen myself as a "runner", and I've always envied people who just go for a run like it's no big deal. I guess we really are able to achieve so much more than we ever believed!

I'm kind of excited by this now, I'm going to try and do it again tomorrow morning, just to prove it wasn't a fluke! :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    that is amazing. I am working up to jogging for 1 mile and so I know how you must feel.

Keep up the good work!!!!!
  • shivers
    Options
    I've taken my treadmill aspirations to the road, I ran 3 miles on Monday night, and then this morning I ran 2.5 miles but that was after a major psychological battle to get out of bed so I was really pleased with myself. It's all about the little feelings of success... :smile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    toot0vz.giftoot0vz.giftoot0vz.gif

GREAT JOB!!
  • Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    That wonderful...Keep it up!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    That is great! I wish I hadn't gave away my treadmill the last time I moved. Maybe one of these days I'll get another one. Anyway congratulations. I think that's a wonderful accomplishment. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • shivers
    Options
    Thanks again everyone! :flowerforyou: I'm finally down weight again! woohoo!! and it's all thanks to eating my exercise calories!! I even had a small slice of Strawberry & Cream Sponge Cake on Thursday... but I did a Circuit Class that night and burned off the same amount of calories! I'm just so glad to finally be down weight again! I can do this!! yay!!!!:happy:
  • shivers
    Options
    Thats awesome! I used to be the EXACT same way and now I just don't feel right if I don't get a run in!

Yay for you :flowerforyou:

Ahn, you're so right! I didn't get a chance to go for my run this morning and I feel like I missed out on something!!! That's so unlike me! New habits = New ME! :happy:
  • shivers
    Options
    Ok somehow in the last few weeks I have become a runner!! I don't know how this happened!!! :smile: Today I ran 4.85miles in 40 mins!!! I can't believe this at all!! I still keep thinking that I'm getting the distance wrong but mapmyrun is fairly accurate! (Plus I double checked with my milometer on the car!!:laugh: ) It all really started after that last post... cos I was sitting here thinking that it did feel strange to not get a run in.. so I went! And did a really good time. And then I wanted to beat that. So it's kind of thanks to you guys!!! THANKS!!! :flowerforyou:
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Yeah you!! Glad you are coming over to the dark side!! haha:laugh:
  • shivers
    Options
    Yeah you!! Glad you are coming over to the dark side!! haha:laugh:

Haha :laugh: Yeah it kind of looks like I am, and no one is more surprised than me!!!! :laugh: I actually signed up for a Ladies Charity Race next month, it's only 7km or 4.3miles, that's why I went for that long run today, I still can't believe I did 4.85 miles... in under 40mins... that just sounds like something somebody else would do... somebody fitter!! :laugh:
  • shivers
    Options
    Oh and I love that quote by the way ""Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about it, I just do it. The decision has already been made."--Patti Sue Plumer, U.S. Olympian " SO TRUE!!!!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Hooray you!!! Keep it up! :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!