Has anyone done IVF?

Options
Way off topic, but hey, it's the chit-chat board (and technically, weight *can* be a factor in this :wink:).

Has anyone here done IVF because of FEMALE infertility? (ETA: But feel free to respond if it was male infertility, since some of the questions still apply.:smile: ) If so, buncha questions for you:

1. What was the cause of your infertility? (ETA: For me it is completely blocked fallopian tubes, so if that was the case for anyone else, I'd be especially grateful for your input!)

2. How much did you pay for IVF?

3. Did your insurance cover any of the costs?

4. Did you pay for each "round" individually or sign up for a plan that guarantees a refund if you never have a baby?

5. If you paid for each round individually, what was the difference between the cost for the initial process with fresh embryos and subsequent attempts with frozen embryos saved from the initial process?

6. How many viable embryos did you produce?

7. What did you do with any unused embryos?

8. If you only transferred one embryo, did you successfully become pregnant? If so, how many cycles with did it take you to become pregnant using only one embryo?

9. If you transferred two embryos, did you successfully become pregnant, and if so, did you end up with twins, or a singleton? Either way, how many cycles did it take for you to become pregnant with two embryos transferred?

7. How old were you when you began the process? How old were you if/when you actually conceived?

Thanks very much if anyone can/is willing to answer - I'm infertile and have started doing as much research into IVF as possible (Clomid/IUIs wouldn't work for me because of the nature of my infertility, so IVF is pretty much my only option for having a child) and am especially interested in hearing first hand accounts. Thanks again!

Replies

• missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Way off topic, but hey, it's the chit-chat board (and technically, weight *can* be a factor in this :wink:).

Has anyone here done IVF because of FEMALE infertility (male infertility is irrelevant for me). If so, buncha questions for you:

1. What was the cause of your infertility?

4. Did you pay for each "round" individually or sign up for a plan that guarantees a refund if you never have a baby?

5. If you paid for each round individually, what was the difference between the cost for the initial process with fresh embryos and subsequent attempts with frozen embryos saved from the initial process?

8. If you only transferred one embryo, did you successfully become pregnant? If so, how many cycles with did it take you to become pregnant using only one embryo?

9. If you transferred two embryos, did you successfully become pregnant, and if so, did you end up with twins, or a singleton? Either way, how many cycles did it take for you to become pregnant with two embryos transferred?

7. How old were you when you began the process? How old were you if/when you actually conceived?

Thanks very much if anyone can/is willing to answer - I'm infertile and have started doing as much research into IVF as possible (Clomid/IUIs wouldn't work for me because of the nature of my infertility, so IVF is pretty much my only option for having a child) and am especially interested in hearing first hand accounts. Thanks again!

I did IVF, but our infertility was male factor. I could answer all of your questions because they apply either way, but if you are only looking for responses from people who have dealt with female factor IF, then I don't want to step on your toes. You can message me and let me know.

Good luck in your quest!
  • rob_spitzer
    rob_spitzer Posts: 54 Member
    Options

Has anyone here done IVF because of FEMALE infertility (male infertility is irrelevant for me). If so, buncha questions for you:

My wife and I have completed IVF and have two beautiful fraternal twins as a result....
    1. The cause of my wife's infertility was due to ovarian sists that were on my wife's ovaries which ultimately ended up her tubes being removed.
    2. I am in the military so one of the perks of that is a drastic discount in what we had to pay.
    3. We paid $4500 and my military insurance covered the rest. I have heard IVF costing as uch as $15,000.
    4. We had to commit to the entire cycle but would be refunded unused money in the event the egss did not take. We still ended up with a $900 refund.
    5. We chose not to pay extra to have the embryos frozen so , it would have cost an extra $750 per egg to keep frozen.
    6. We produced 4 viable embryos and through the doctor's advice we only had two because of the risk of multiples involved. In this case, both eggs grew in serperate placenta's.
    7. we donated them
    8. She got pregnant the first time, first cycle with both embryo's that were emplanted.
    9. Yes Yes and twins fraternal
    10. My wife was 35 and I was 37 and all went very well even though she was high risk, just had to be real careful and yes she had to lose aout 20 pounds to guarantee feritlity and she quit smoking as well. ANything helps when it comes to getting healthier.

Hope this helped.
  • allroundthesun
    Options

I did IVF, but our infertility was male factor. I could answer all of your questions because they apply either way, but if you are only looking for responses from people who have dealt with female factor IF, then I don't want to step on your toes. You can message me and let me know.

Good luck in your quest!

Sorry about that, I realised a lot of the questions are still relevant as you said, so I edited - thank you! :smile:
  • allroundthesun
    Options

My wife and I have completed IVF and have two beautiful fraternal twins as a result....
    1. The cause of my wife's infertility was due to ovarian sists that were on my wife's ovaries which ultimately ended up her tubes being removed.
    2. I am in the military so one of the perks of that is a drastic discount in what we had to pay.
    3. We paid $4500 and my military insurance covered the rest. I have heard IVF costing as uch as $15,000.
    4. We had to commit to the entire cycle but would be refunded unused money in the event the egss did not take. We still ended up with a $900 refund.
    5. We chose not to pay extra to have the embryos frozen so , it would have cost an extra $750 per egg to keep frozen.
    6. We produced 4 viable embryos and through the doctor's advice we only had two because of the risk of multiples involved. In this case, both eggs grew in serperate placenta's.
    7. we donated them
    8. She got pregnant the first time, first cycle with both embryo's that were emplanted.
    9. Yes Yes and twins fraternal
    10. My wife was 35 and I was 37 and all went very well even though she was high risk, just had to be real careful and yes she had to lose aout 20 pounds to guarantee feritlity and she quit smoking as well. ANything helps when it comes to getting healthier.

Hope this helped.

Thank you so much for sharing this! :smile:
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I haven't but there is a TTC w/ MA (trying to conceive with medical assistance) board at justmommies.com that has been a godsend to many of my online friends. :flowerforyou:

If it werent for the forums there, and the forums here on MFP, I'd be in a much worse place, mentally and physically than I am currently.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I have had 4 rounds of ivf but I was a surrogate. Good luck!!
  • CBaumgardner7
    CBaumgardner7 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    hi! I was in the same boat as you. 11 years ago I had an ectopic pregnancy which resulted in a loss of my left tube and then the right tube was malformed, in fact it was never there to begin with. So the only option I had was IVF. I did 1 round of it and it costs $17,500 out of pocket because our insurance doesn't cover infertility. I wasn't sucessful with it. I had no other option so I tried again and then it was no go because it didn't take. We got no refund on it. But, my story didn't end there. After years of not able to have any, God has blessed me with a daughter who is 7. The dr's were amazed because of the nature of my infertility I should have never had any. So, I had another and another and another and another. yup, been blessed with 5 children. I think when you are at your wits ends and not sure what direction to take that's when God picks up the final piece of the puzzle. Hope this helps you,
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info and support everyone, I really appreciate it!
  • authson
    authson Posts: 233
    Options
    I had IVF done 4 and a half years ago due to blocked tubes. I was 34. we did one round two implants and they both took I ended up with twins. I was getting in on some sort of study so our out of pocket was only about 2000 because the study covered the rest. friend me if you want and I can share more