Cravings!

Options
ziggle_7
ziggle_7 Posts: 81 Member
i've eaten well and it hasnt been too bad but im really craving something greasy and cheesey =S Im craving pizza or a hotdog or something. grr i hate greasy food and my brain for making me want it! why must this be so difficult! What'a a good way to thwart cravings?

Replies

• jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    try some good fats :) a handful of nuts, poached salmon or avocado salad.
  • ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    if you go for a long period of time without these things, you'll stop craving them.

it helps to try to stay away from them. avoid seeing/smelling these items.
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I agree, natural pb goes a long way for me. And if I don't want to do that and my craving is at night, I will just lay down to go to sleep and if I wake up still wanting a piece of pizza, I have one and just make sure I get a good workout in that day and don't sweat it too much :)
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    the best way to thwart it is to not deny yourself ...try a better option maybe a grilled turkey burger with cheese
  • JPK7
    JPK7 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm with you. I need a pot roast, mashed potatoes and gravy.
    Chicken fried steak.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Google for 'healthy pizza recipies" and make it yourself. You will find some really tasty alternatives that will quench your cravings.
  • Beckster7773
    Beckster7773 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I used to joke that the only reason we jogged was so that we could eat ice cream.. Take care of your craving within portion limits, and exercise so you even things out. I never do well in the long term if I forbid myself to have certain foods that I love- moderation and reason. Balance!
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If I want something "bad" for me I have to go home and make a similar but more healthy replacement. For instance, I'm on a low carb diet, I just go home and make the thing without bread and I use organic no-nitrate no-hormones added meats. Like if I crave pizza I make something with a red sauce or basil ..etc. I used to love these "Mexican Hot Dogs" from street carts so I made one with no bun and with hormone free organic hot dogs .. you get my drift.

You sound like you're craving fat. Eat something that your diet is ok with that has some fat in it. I won't tell you what kind of fat, that's up to you and what diet you're on, but there are guiltless ways to eat fat.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    The best way to avoid cravings is to not be able to afford it!

But of course, that's not helpful when you do have money. Find a similar tasting fix. When I crave pizza I get out some tomato sauce, parmesan, and crackers.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Here's a weird one for you. I learned this from my counselor. And it works. Distraction. If you can do something that really engages you for awhile, you can forget about your cravings. Some things that have worked for me (though it is different for everyone) are practicing an instrument, exercising, doing craft projects. Reading or watching TV don't do it--those are things I eat while doing them! When I am at work or doing something I can't leave (maybe housework), I play rock n roll music on my iPod. Something that will really get me going.
  • ziggle_7
    ziggle_7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Here's a weird one for you. I learned this from my counselor. And it works. Distraction. If you can do something that really engages you for awhile, you can forget about your cravings. Some things that have worked for me (though it is different for everyone) are practicing an instrument, exercising, doing craft projects. Reading or watching TV don't do it--those are things I eat while doing them! When I am at work or doing something I can't leave (maybe housework), I play rock n roll music on my iPod. Something that will really get me going.

actually thats exactly what i decided to do. i think alot of the time i crave food but im not actually hungry. i think i eat out of bordom alot. So this time i took your advice. I just went out for 30 minute walk/jog =) so proud of myself!