my workout buddies...

Options
:mad: so i work out with my sister in law and a friend. We usually go up to the closest school and walk the track at night. The problem is they make me really hate what i'm doing. They are fitter than i am which i really don't care about but they speed ahead of me. So as were doing a mile or three i'm a half a track behind and they don't want to slow down. I don't want them to slow down either ... i just get discouraged!!!!! I'm really annoyed that the last few times ive gone with them as long as i'm behind them they wont speed walk if i walk their pace they RUN! lol.. It's not me being there because they beg me to go walking.. or .. is it ? :indifferent: Anyhow i really dislike my workout buddies and it's the reason i stopped doing this last year, no one would help me at MY pace. They tried to force me to get to a pace i couldn't achieve for months....... Sorry for the long post i'm venting and maybe someone else shares the same thing or have gone through this too.

Replies

• conniptionfits
    Options
    :mad: so i work out with my sister in law and a friend. We usually go up to the closest school and walk the track at night. The problem is they make me really hate what i'm doing. They are fitter than i am which i really don't care about but they speed ahead of me. So as were doing a mile or three i'm a half a track behind and they don't want to slow down. I don't want them to slow down either ... i just get discouraged!!!!! I'm really annoyed that the last few times ive gone with them as long as i'm behind them they wont speed walk if i walk their pace they RUN! lol.. It's not me being there because they beg me to go walking.. or .. is it ? :indifferent: Anyhow i really dislike my workout buddies and it's the reason i stopped doing this last year, no one would help me at MY pace. They tried to force me to get to a pace i couldn't achieve for months....... Sorry for the long post i'm venting and maybe someone else shares the same thing or have gone through this too.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what to suggest, but I definitely understand where you are coming from. Just harness that frustration into really pushing yourself and soon you'll be flying by them!!! :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    have you tried going alone?
    If they wont wait for you, why go with them?
    Maybe you should ask them to hang back with you and speedwalk once in a while?
  • maggie2020
    Options
    Well I do understand what you are saying and that I don't thing thery are the best w/out partners for you because if they were then they would slow down to your pace. I too used to work out w/ a neighbor of mine and she would start walking faster and want me run to keep up, so I don't w/ out w/ her anymore.

I developed my own program at home, sometimes she comes by my house and does the tapes w/ me but I do it at my pace and she has to follow me, so I think it was better of you that you quit because you are not enjoying it so you just stop, maybe where you live at you just walk by yourself w/ an ipod or a dog if you got one. I do have a dog (see the pic) and enjoy walking w/ her. She is patient and when I stop she stops (not that she has a choice really) :smile:

Hopes this helps some... good luck
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Do you have a dog by chance? Maybe if you don't have a dog, borrow someone's dog. After a few sessions, dog usually go just at your pace and it's someone to keep you company. And they don't care how fit you are or they are for that matter.
  • conniptionfits
    Options
    thanks a lot for the adivce i'll see if i cant walk my brothers dog sometime.. Cute pup maggie!!!
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Oh I completely understand...when I first started MFP, I asked a few of the girls at work to walk with me...I walked a few times with a girl I really like, and we had a good workout and a nice time together...then when the other girl at work got involved she asked my new walking buddy if she "slowed down" and went my pace when we walked together or if she went her pace so she'd "get a good workout"...I haven't walked with them since...they now walk together...rather than being slowed down by my slow pace!
  • conniptionfits
    Options
    Oh I completely understand...when I first started MFP, I asked a few of the girls at work to walk with me...I walked a few times with a girl I really like, and we had a good workout and a nice time together...then when the other girl at work got involved she asked my new walking buddy if she "slowed down" and went my pace when we walked together or if she went her pace so she'd "get a good workout"...I haven't walked with them since...they now walk together...rather than being slowed down by my slow pace!

That's terrible. People are so rude! You're better off walking without them in my opinion!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It's not something you should take personally. Just realize that they are there to get exercise just like you are, and the levels of exertion necessary to elicit a CV response differs between you three because you're at different levels of training. If they slow down to be nice, they don't benefit from the exercise. If you speed up to their pace, you can't yet maintain that level of exertion. They shouldn't ask you to speed up, and you shouldn't ask them to slow down...that doesn't help anyone. Either go by yourself or find someone with your level of training, but certainly don't use them as a a reason to quit.
  • Canelitas
    Canelitas Posts: 712
    Options
    That's happened to me, and I stopped going, and started going by myself, but of course it was much boring, so I started saving 10 a week, i stopped going out for lunch and dinners with hubby, and got me a used treadmill for $100 ... which works perfectly!

You might want to check into that. :wink:
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Songbyrd!! I thought you had disapeard! I always look for your comments! I value them so much! :bigsmile:

I totally agree with songbyrd. When I jog with my sister she makes me feel like crap because she has been jogging for a while and im a begginer. I know she does it to make me feel like crap cause I can beat her at everything else ha ha!! But when I go with my brother who could out jog us both, he stays at my pace and encourages me on. If not for him I wouldnt push so hard. He makes me ENJOY it. I would find someone else to jog with or go alone.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Songbyrd!! I thought you had disapeard! I always look for your comments! I value them so much! :bigsmile:

I totally agree with songbyrd. When I jog with my sister she makes me feel like crap because she has been jogging for a while and im a begginer. I know she does it to make me feel like crap cause I can beat her at everything else ha ha!! But when I go with my brother who could out jog us both, he stays at my pace and encourages me on. If not for him I wouldnt push so hard. He makes me ENJOY it. I would find someone else to jog with or go alone.

I did disappear! I was living in a wall-tent in the woods of SW Virginia...no internet/electricity/plumbing/non-dehydrated food out there. :laugh: I popped back in yesterday.
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Wow!! Why did you do that?? It must have been amazing!! Ive always wanted to do something like that!! Welcome back!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    If they speed up just so you can't keep up that's mean..

But if it's a case of what songbirdsweet is saying, then I agree with her, too.

I love it when my DH goes biking with me BUT... he can't keep up and can't go as long as I can. Sooo... when he goes with me, I have to first cut my distance and limit the ride to no more than 20 miles. Then, he wants to go about 9-10mph but I have to go at least 12 to 12.5 to get my HR up to a level where the exercise is effective. Which means I have to slow down to let him keep up--I don't want to leave him behind!

Sooo... if I know he's going with me, I try to do a longer or a harder ride the day before or the day after to just in some extra calories! I don't want to discourage him--he has no interest in going longer or faster btw--and I like having him ride with me, but when he goes, it's not "exercise" for me but just a fun ride.

On the other hand, I haven't bothered trying to find a bike group to do group rides or a riding partner yet because I'm not fast enough to keep up with "real" cyclists.

That means, I go by myself 99% of the time. I take my iPod and set off--I go at the pace I want to and stay out as long as I want to! No one is dictating my exercise level that way.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Wow!! Why did you do that?? It must have been amazing!! Ive always wanted to do something like that!! Welcome back!!

I was for a job...I lived at an outpost and taught climbing to crews that backpacked in, then cooked for them and did campfire programs. At times it was cool, but there's nothing neat about having to trudge up a hill in torrential rain to go potty in a big, stinky box with no door. Plus I got homesick, I only got to come home on Saturday. If I didn't miss my bf so much it would've been more fun I'm sure!
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Thats sounds awesome to me I want to learn how to climb! Thats so cool!! I wouldnt want to guide though,, I just want to go an live out in the wilderness for a while and survive!! That would be sweet!! I think I would miss my husband. I would want him to come cause im a scardy cat. He can protect me form the bears and cougars haha
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Thats sounds awesome to me I want to learn how to climb! Thats so cool!! I wouldnt want to guide though,, I just want to go an live out in the wilderness for a while and survive!! That would be sweet!! I think I would miss my husband. I would want him to come cause im a scardy cat. He can protect me form the bears and cougars haha

Well I climbed about once a week, and did a lot of hiking (no backpacking fortunately). It was scary at first because I was out there alone, and there are a TON of coyotes out there (one peed on my tent one night!). I think the other bad part was working with 12-16 yr old boys...UGH BRATTY :explode: And having to filter all my drinking water was tedious. But if Anthony (bf) were out there with me, it would've been like a vacation!
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Coyotes scare me!! They make so many weird sounds! I would of hated to be alone!! Well im glad it was you and not me :tongue: Well at least your back now! :bigsmile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options

Well I climbed about once a week, and did a lot of hiking (no backpacking fortunately). It was scary at first because I was out there alone, and there are a TON of coyotes out there (one peed on my tent one night!). I think the other bad part was working with 12-16 yr old boys...UGH BRATTY :explode: And having to filter all my drinking water was tedious. But if Anthony (bf) were out there with me, it would've been like a vacation!

Hey, Song! Welcome back. I was wondering where you were for two months. Then I saw the baby notice, and I thought "OH!" then of course read about your two "boys". Congrats.

Picture this: Outback camping in WA state at a semi-wilderness campsite. Middle of the night. Gotta pee. So of course it is a squat situation. Something NIBBLES my ankle. I jump - turn on flashlight. There stands coyote. Apparently he was injured and then subsequently learned to scavenge at human spots. We found out from some other regulars that he gets a bit too friendly at inappropriate times. Ya THINK? Luckily he didn't break the skin!
    :laugh: :tongue:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Hey, Song! Welcome back. I was wondering where you were for two months. Then I saw the baby notice, and I thought "OH!" then of course read about your two "boys". Congrats.

Picture this: Outback camping in WA state at a semi-wilderness campsite. Middle of the night. Gotta pee. So of course it is a squat situation. Something NIBBLES my ankle. I jump - turn on flashlight. There stands coyote. Apparently he was injured and then subsequently learned to scavenge at human spots. We found out from some other regulars that he gets a bit too friendly at inappropriate times. Ya THINK? Luckily he didn't break the skin!
    :laugh: :tongue:

HOLY CRAP!! And I thought one peeing in my campsite was bad LOL...that is crazy! I would've really been fighting the urge to run! My worst potty experience was my second day there. I have my hand on a tree bracing myself (another squat situation), I grab a familiar and friendly leaf...and my hand starts to burn. I think "Oh god, what did I just do to myself?!?!!:noway: " So I drop the leaf, my fingers start swelling and turning red, and I look back and see this HUGE black caterpillar...they sting down here!! I actually cried a bit, it felt like a jellyfish sting. My index finger still feels bumpy. :ohwell: