Strength training.. don't u lose calories that way too?

hey everyone... that's the question i have... i went to add the weight lifting i did to my exercises but it said it doesn't add calories lost from strength training... how is that possible? don't u lose calories doing that too? can someone explain y please?

Replies

• sherris
    sherris Posts: 112
    hey everyone... that's the question i have... i went to add the weight lifting i did to my exercises but it said it doesn't add calories lost from strength training... how is that possible? don't u lose calories doing that too? can someone explain y please?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    You have to add it in the Cardio section for it to count for your calories.

Hope this helps.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Yeah, that's what you have to do is put it under Cardio. Problem with Strength Training is it's kind of detailed. How much weight, how many reps, how many sets, how fast, etc, etc, etc. For myself I lump it all under Cardio: Work Out - Moderate. (I'm hopefully erring on the side of caution so I don't think I am burning more than I am!)

I entered one for myself in the database after searching the Weeb for some info on calories burned during weight training. It might have been close to what was there, I dunno anymore. :)

Anyway, if you want to get detailed, here's a thread from this forum in which are some links to places that might help...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1056-why-not-strength-training
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    Weight training is great keep it up
  • The gym I belong to did a fitness/weight loss challenge and gave out a flyer with the amount of calories each activity burns. I can tell you lifting weights depends on the intensity you go at. If you lift for 30 minutes with 40 seconds between sets and weigh 150 lbs, you will burn about 382 calories. The same person lifting for the same amount of time but with 60 seconds between sets will only burn 285. A lot of it comes down to intensity and how hard you push yourself.
  • You must also remember that weight training increases muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. Don't get set back by the numbers, just keep up the good work . . . it'll pay off in the end - good wishes!
  • sherris
    sherris Posts: 112
    thanks guys for all your help... ya i started doing the research too i'm only looking to lose ten more pounds but my most important goal is really toning up...which is y i needed to understand the strength training/calories loss....
    after looking around i went out and bought a "mio watch" it keeps track of my heart, weight and calories i take in too(as well as this site too) and dependiing on my age, weight, sex and resting heart rate it tell me how many calories i've burned not matter what activity i do!!!! i'm really excited it gives me more modivation AND THE BEST PART! i payed for it by using the money i've been saving off each pack i would have bought since quiting smoking!!!! what better way to use that money but to put it back into helping my health!!! :bigsmile:
  • I have been going to a trainer who taught me how to make my weight training count as cardio if I am too pressed for time ot get a run in that day. He said to warm up for 5 minutes with cardio, then do 1 set of 15 upper body, then 2 minutes hard cardio, then 1 set 15 core, then 2 minutes hard cardio, then 1 set 15 lower body, then 2 hard cardio. Repeat this three time through. Then, if time allows, follow the same routing with three different exercise choices. Hope that helps.