A triathlon? Really!? Am I nuts?

Options
k2d4p
k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
I just registered for a true trialthlon today. I registered as a part of a team. There is a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike ride, and 13.1 mile run. There are 3 of us and I am doing the 56 mile bike ride portion. It is through the hills here in Japan, so I am expecting it to be rediculous. I feel very stupid and very excited.

Anyone ever participated in something like this? What is it like?

Replies

• Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations!! I think that's awesome! Basically, you are doing a Half-Ironman relay. I have done two sprint tris and I love it! The competition is awesome, the people are incredible, the atmosphere is unbeliveable...and that's just at an insignificant community sprint tri. You are doing a Half!! Enjoy it because you are going to have a phenomenal experience!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    What Celo said! ;)
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    congrats...and you are not nuts...you will do great
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    bump
  • waterbabeAD
    waterbabeAD Posts: 73
    Options
    Completely endorse what Celo said. On Friday I am doing my 3rd sprint this year. Triathlon is a brilliant way to increase and maintain fitness - and it is very addictive - be warned. I am aiming for my first individual half ironman next year.

Good luck - and enjoy the training!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Absolutely what Celo said! I just finished an Oly distance this weekend, and the spirit of community really pulled me through some tough parts. Your spirit will pull others through, as well. Completing your portion of a Half Ironman Relay will be exhilirating and, I hope, addicting. Competing in a triathlon is a beautiful, inspirational experience. You'll see people pull themselves apart to complete one of the most challenging sporting events known to mankind. Not for money or to win. Just to do it. Just do it.

You're about to become superhuman. Train hard and be proud of what you're about to do. The journey is part of the accomplishment.

Congratulations! And yes, you're crazy. But you're in good company.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    And yes, you're crazy. But you're in good company.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Very true.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first (as a team) May 14th. Much shorter. Im also the bike team member and my portion is 18 mile bike which I have now ridden 2 times.

I'm actually posting a blog about it later today. Im excited..I wish I hadn't hurt my knee in Feb otherwise Id be doing the whole thing.

congrats on a new goal I know it will drive you to success and so lucky to be in such a beautiful place
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Congrats! And be warned, if your like most people, this won't be your last. I'm doing half ironman in Sept with a few smaller ones till then. I just started to swim 4 months ago...should be interesting. :)
  • clhiter
    clhiter Posts: 74
    Options
    Triathlons are the best. I got into them several years ago and the cross training is just incredible for fitness and feeling great. I have done sprint through half ironman and while not fast I still have fun.