High calorie healthy food suggestions?

Options
I am currently on the zig zag calorie plan to boost the metabolism and was hoping to get some suggestions to help me fill my calorie needs. Any suggestions for any high calorie healthy foods?

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Nuts.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    The typical suggestion of fruit, nuts/nut butters, dairy, whole grain; i.e. oatmeal... all are calorie-dense, healthy alternatives to incorporate into your intake should you need more calories.
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    Porridge, almonds, avocados, pears, bananas..
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Bananas! I was shocked at how many calories they have!
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Nuts (obviously)
    Or instead of eating fat-free products you can switch to reduced fat or low fat to higher the caloric amount
    Avocados
    Dark Chocolate
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Bananas! I was shocked at how many calories they have!

That was a good thing for me!! :)
  • rippedin12
    rippedin12 Posts: 30
    Options
    Oatmeal, plain, no sugar, no fruit, just plain, boring oatmeal. It might taste like cardboard, but 1 cup is 300 calories! Cottage Cheese, use some pineapple to add flavor. Bananas for sure. Wheat, or 9 grain breads.
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    Thnx guys!!! i will def look into many of these options to use on my high calorie days!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Avocado
    Natural yoghurt (not reduced fat)
    Almonds
    Olive oil
    Salmon
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    beans, nuts,
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I am currently on the zig zag calorie plan to boost the metabolism and was hoping to get some suggestions to help me fill my calorie needs. Any suggestions for any high calorie healthy foods?

Nitrate-Free Uncured Bacon
    Uncured Ham
    Grass-fed beef burger/steak
    Bison, venison, duck, salmon
    Avocado
    Heavy Whipping Cream from grass-fed Jersey or Guernsey cows
    Egg yolks from pastured chickens
    Ghee
    Butter from grass-fed cows
    Coconut oil
  • ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Avocado, nuts/nut butters, granola... Also switching things up that you normall eat- like bread varies from a 100 calorie sandwich thin to a 300-ish cal bagel. If you have something like a turkey sandwich on wholewheat bread for your lower calorie days, switch to a wholewheat bagel and add some avocado on higher cal days. Pesto is delicious too, on sandwiches/pasta. One of my favorite sndwiches is grilled eggplant, goats cheese and pesto- then pressed on my George Foreman grill. Oh, and good salad dressings (I like Annie's Organics Goddess dressing- it's made with tahini and SO good. Really makes salads something special!) I also love adding dried fruit and walnut to chicken salad.

Lara bars are great too- all around 200 cals but small in volume and just made of dried fruit and nuts (I love the peanut butter and jelly one, and the cookie dough one!) One of my favorite snacks on higher calorie days is a 1/2 crumbled Lara bar and 1/2 sliced banana mixed into fat free Greek yogurt- around 260 calories. On my lower calorie days, it is more likely to be something like Greek yogurt mixed with blueberries and 1/4 cup bran flakes (around 130 cals).

I am always nervous that I'll be starving on lower cal days after higher intake so this works well for me!