A lonely dark night

Options
I need support. I haven't been much of a member on the forums but I need help. I am a true emotional eater. When I eat the most is when something bad happens....which is a lot in my life.

I broke up with my boyfriend due to personal reasons. That's the part that isn't bothering me. I want to eat.everything.in.the.kitchen. I literally can't stop thinking about it. I want to make something that will make me full again. What's stopping me at this moment is the fact that I know it will not help. It will not help at all.

-Sighs- Man plans and God laughs....

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Find something else to keep you busy, times like that I played a lot of PC games, just something to keep my hands busy, if it was something like solitaire it was easy to snack at the same time :P

You did something for you, and its the winds of change that have you "needing" to do what you've always done to keep some familiarity... Just don't.... grab some celery if you have to, something low cal and takes a while to eat if you've really really got to have something.
  • hrigsby
    hrigsby Posts: 31
    Options
    I too am an emotional eater. If I have a bad weigh in I just about always immediately want to eat. I usually try and go for a walk or take a shower. Something to get me out of the kitchen.
  • MissbusyLizzie
    MissbusyLizzie Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Use that time to research healthy recipes or new work out routines! Get your mind on something else!
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I eat too much when I'm bored or have new exciting groceries. I try to drink tea, even dessert tea to keep me from eating at night too much. Maybe I force myself to clean up my apartment a little. Chew gum. Or play online games like that other person said, I recently started playing free scrabble online.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Keep some good "cheats" for times like this. In my case I always have a small tub of full fat yoghurt in the fridge - and if I really need to snack I will take that out with some frozen berries - and some sugar free jello. In the end of the day I get some "comfort food" but don't totally break the bank.....
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Well eating is really good, but its the choices that hurts. if you make good choices and eat small potions you can eat all day! 6 small meals a day!
    Do not buy high fat, high calorie, high sodium foods, I eat fresh steamed green beans for a snack! or even sugar free frozen yogurt. Again combinations of foods, and portion control is the key! Lots of water especially before a bing! you will eat less. Also plan your meals. its easy after a week.....also its not a diet its a life style change. Also you need a stress realease. Try walking for an hour inceasing your distance and speed eah week. Put an Ipod on to your favorite feel good music and go! you can do it! I started at a 1/4 block and now after a year 7 miles! you can too!
  • Kimrenaud
    Kimrenaud Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I need support. I haven't been much of a member on the forums but I need help. I am a true emotional eater. When I eat the most is when something bad happens....which is a lot in my life.

I broke up with my boyfriend due to personal reasons. That's the part that isn't bothering me. I want to eat.everything.in.the.kitchen. I literally can't stop thinking about it. I want to make something that will make me full again. What's stopping me at this moment is the fact that I know it will not help. It will not help at all.

-Sighs- Man plans and God laughs....
    Also negitive attitude breeds negitive emotions..... change your attitude and use it to build self esteem.......exercise!
  • ktbug82
    ktbug82 Posts: 166
    Options
    Something that I use to do in those situations, but worked: Brush your teeth! I read a long time ago that if you brush your teeth it will take away the hunger for awhile (plus who wants to eat anything with that mint flavor in your mouth) & it worked for me.

Just something to try and hope it helps!
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    For me, I would go to the gym and work out all the frustrations. I would be able to get away from the kitchen and feel good about exercising. I understand though, that not everyone works this way.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Use that time to research healthy recipes or new work out routines! Get your mind on something else!

Agreed, that's what I am doing now as we speak !!!
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    The brushing teeth thing is a great idea!!! never thought of that before.......Another great little tip is to drink peppermint tea!