WHOLE WHEAT and WHEAT... what's the difference?

Options
DTetz
DTetz Posts: 109 Member
.................????

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    whole wheat
    whole grain
    wheat

wheat is wheat...a plant. whole wheat doesnt necessarily mean whole grain..usually whole wheat is still 'processed' to remove the good parts..the outter husks and endosperm. processed wheat (white bread) only uses the starchy innerds basically.

whole grain or 100% whole grain uses all the grain of the wheat plant. it contains the most nutrients and hence is healthier for you.
  • b1delane
    b1delane Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    THANX FOR ASKING....THANX FOR ANSWERING....i really needed to know this answer cause i always thought at least i was eating wheat its better than white!
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    IF the word ENRICHED is in the ingredients, put it back on the shelf.
  • DTetz
    DTetz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Lol okay :( I bought Wheat... because it has less calories then whole grain
    IF the word ENRICHED is in the ingredients, put it back on the shelf.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I feel the need to speak as an "expert" of sorts. I worked in ingredient manufacturing for 9 yrs specializing in the manufacturing of wheat; specifically durum wheat which is used to make semolina for pasta and couscous.

To make flour or semolina you take the wheat and grind it up. If NOTHING is removed in that process except inedible husks and hulls the result is able to be called whole grain and/or whole wheat. The bran and germ are left in the product. The finished product is usually fairly dark, or brown.

Most often the bran and germ are removed and the resulting product is lighter in color, golden or yellow and is considered "refined". The bran and the germ provide the lion's share of the nutritional value in wheat. Some people think couscous is healthy. If its refined, its refined, as refined as any white pasta or white rice or white bread. Unless its whole wheat, its just as lacking in nutrition as any other refined carb.

Don't fall for the idea that "enriching" a wheat product after its been refined is a good thing.

After 9 years of putting millions of pounds of refined carbohydrates into the food system, I'm happy to say I no longer eat them or participate in delivering them to anyone. I happened to work in the organic foods industry, the fact they were organic refined carbohydrates brought me little comfort. Empty cals are empty cals, organic or not.

good luck and happy eating everyone!