On yer bike!

Options
becka63
becka63 Posts: 712 Member
Well, on my bike, anyway!

This is probably a stupid question, but what muscles am I working when I cycle? Another way of putting it, is am I going to notice any beneficial difference to my thighs and butt when I cycle?

Thank you!

Replies

• jammyone
    jammyone Posts: 80
    Options
    Hi becka63

You'll be exercising a lot of muscle groups when you cycle but you'll be mainly exercising your upper thigh muscles, your glutes and your calf muscles. The answer is YES, you will eventually notice the toned look. Good luck!
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of cycling you're doing. Standard road cycling will mostly be thights & bum, if you get into off road mountain biking you will engage most muscles at somepoint through the ride. When cycling on uneven surfaces you use your core muscles & arm muscles more to maintain stability. But whatever you do cycling will give you great thighs & bum :)
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of cycling you're doing. Standard road cycling will mostly be thights & bum, if you get into off road mountain biking you will engage most muscles at somepoint through the ride. When cycling on uneven surfaces you use your core muscles & arm muscles more to maintain stability. But whatever you do cycling will give you great thighs & bum :)
  • waterbabeAD
    waterbabeAD Posts: 73
    Options
    I dont know the names of the muscle groups, but definately thighs and especially your butt, plus your calves. I took up cycling 3 months ago and have seen a massive improvement - I have really shaped up, especially my butt - just in time for summer :-)
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies!

Should have stipulated type of cycling - definitely road cycling, not racing, just out and about, you know?
  • willowglimmer
    Options
    I notice the aches in my quads and calves after cycling. Oh and to start with my *kitten*!! Bruised like hell. Now it's just my bum bone that aches. Try to do one ride a week of between 5 and 15 miles depending on weather etc :-)