Why d you take flaxseed?

Options
just wanted to know why people take flaxseed?

Replies

• strong_kung_fu
    Options
    Hi,

I add (ground) flaxseed to many of my foods to get the Omega-3 fatty acids, and the protein as well.....It actually IS one of those "super-foods" the world is always seeking....And it tastes really good. :glasses:

Hasta!
  • biwinner
    biwinner Posts: 18
    Options
    It's high in protein but low in carbs. So for those on a low carb diet it can be a good choice as it fills you up and is nutritious.
  • Mojave69
    Mojave69 Posts: 40
    Options
    What the ken is a flaxseed? New one on me!
  • jammyone
    jammyone Posts: 80
    Options
    Hello,

Flaxseed contains a lot of good fats that your body needs for good health. People often use the stuff to replace fish oil as kung_fu has said, it's high in Omega 3 acids.

I like to use flax seed with lots of different things. You can sprinkle it on food, put it in protein shakes and even cakes (no intention to make that rhyme).

I picked up some flax seed, cocoa and berry powder the other day. I love the stuff!
  • dirtyblue
    dirtyblue Posts: 90
    Options
    I had heard that in order to get the benefits of the flaxseed, it needed to be ground, not whole. Anyone confirm or deny this?
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    I add ground flaxseed to my smoothies mostly to get my Omega-3.
  • tsomo
    tsomo Posts: 44
    Options
    I take flaxseed bcos I want a non-animals source of omega 3 fatty acids. (i'm vegetarian)
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Keeps the bowels moving. Drink lots of water with it, and if you get pre-ground, keep them in the fridge. Grinding your own is more healthy, cause you can grind only how much you will use at a time. :bigsmile:
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Try Unlce Sam Cereal.. I call it "Colon Blow" but it is high fiber no sugar and has flaxseed in it! Great to get your day started!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    It's a total bit** to wash out of blenders so If you can stick to mixing 1tbsp into a cup of yogurt that you toss out afterwards that is best.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I add (ground) flaxseed to many of my foods to get the Omega-3 fatty acids, and the protein as well.....It actually IS one of those "super-foods" the world is always seeking....And it tastes really good. :glasses:

Hasta!

Ditto it also has fiber