Why do we need to eat back calories burnt during exercise?

Options
micarla1
micarla1 Posts: 41 Member
Can anyone enlighten me as to why we should eat back calories burnt working out? Itend to just eat what i normally eat, my low cal low fat diet. Thank you

Replies

• sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    Because MFP gives you the required calorie deficit to lose the amount of weight you want to lose a week. So when you exercise you need to give yourself those calories back or you would end up not giving your body enough fuel to live on. I find if I do not eat enough I do not lose.
  • micarla1
    Options
    Hi Sharon,

I understand that if you for example burn 1000 calories working out and are only eating say for example 1200 calories then you're only manging on 200 calories but I had never ever contemplated eating more! I am not sure if i dare eat extra incase I gain! Well done on the 72lb loss that is amazing!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    BMR- basic metabolic rate. This is the amount of calories your body needs for basic functions; circulation, digestion, liver/kidney function for example. If you allow your intake to drop below this amount, the operation of these systems may start to perform inefficiently. Over a long period of insufficient calories, one will start to suffer the affects of malnutrition.
  • angeleyes13
    angeleyes13 Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi, I have question concerning this as well then. MFP says my BMR is 1450, but is telling me to eat only 1200 per day (with no exercise). So now I'm even more confused :-/
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Angeleyes, the MFP BMR includes everyday activity rather than true BMR which is just enough to survive lying in bed, hence it asks you what your daily activity level is like, (sedentary, active etc). The 250 cal deficit is what produces a weight loss. Hope that helps.
  • micarla1
    Options
    Gosh it's all a bit technical - I'm guessing on exercise days I'm not to eat cake as a means of upping my cals! pahaha!