Chafing!

Options
2»

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I know it's cos I got fat legs but I just wondered if anyone knows of any good ways of eliminating chafing? Just started power walking and jeez the tops of my legs are so sore! It'll improve as I lose weight I guess, but it's starting to put me off exercising :(

You can find a product called BodyGlide in Sporting Goods stores. It comes in a tube similar to a deodorant. Rub it on the places that tend to chafe prior to starting your workout. Works quite well! If you are female, this stuff is also a godsend when your sports bras are a little too loose but not yet loose enough to buy new ones--they chafe a lot in that stage!

In a pinch, you can use any regular stick deodorant, although the BodyGlide is better.

When you choose workout clothes, look for flat-lock seaming as it chafes less. In the better quality workout gear, seams are not only flat-locked, they're placed strategically in places they won't rub, like on the outside of the leg rather than the inside; like on the back of the shirt instead of on the sides, etc.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    baby powder, corn starch, deodorant, or an anti-chafing product such as body glide.
  • meggiemaye
    meggiemaye Posts: 117
    Options
    Deodorant works wonders for me. And Anti-Monkey-Butt Powder. That stuff is magic.

You've gotta be taking the pi$$?? Anti-Monkey-Butt powder??? lmfao!!

This is very real!! :tongue: They sell it at lumber yards and such places for people who are moving around a lot at work, like construction workers. :wink:
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    They also sell it at drugstores like Walgreens & CVS. I actually saw a huge double pack of Anti Monkey Butt Powder in the Sam's over the weekend.

I don't use it much now, but when I was training for the 60-mile 3-Day race we sometimes did 12-18 miles in one day. I used it a lot when we were heavy in the training.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Spandex shorts under regular shorts or vaseline both work.
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    +1 for Bodyglide - available in all your fine sporting goods stores (D!ck's, Scheels, etc) as well as running shops, many outdoor stores (REI etc) and if you've got a scuba/snorkel/dive shop, or a kayak/canoe store handy they'll usually carry it there too. The stuff is like magic.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Deodorant works wonders for me. And Anti-Monkey-Butt Powder. That stuff is magic.

You've gotta be taking the pi$$?? Anti-Monkey-Butt powder??? lmfao!!

*tries to resist the temptation to google it at work*

It's a real product - Monkey Butt Powder. Stays on better than baby powder. Can be bought in a two-pack at Sam's Club! ;)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Glide chaffing cream, looks like a deoderant but you can find it at any sporting good store, target, walmart etc etc. Also Monkey Butt Powder. Oh, and I don't know what you are working out in but DO NOT wear cotton, cotton is a fat legs enemy!!! Try finding shorts that are a poly blend or even have spandex in them, like old school bike shorts under your regular shorts, having that slick fabric helps a ton! I know because I have me some big thighs :wink:
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Wow now that's what I call feedback!! Thanks to everyone for their advice, looks like Bodyglide is the winner! Thanks guys, you're all fantastic :D