Replies

• naturechyld
    naturechyld Posts: 35
    Options
    Coffee is dehydrating.
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    i agree water is water - coffee tea and anyother hot/cold drink with flavourings are a food/beverage

can anyone help me with a little question 8 glasses water/ day what size is a glass - I drink 1.2-2 litres of pure good olf fashioned bottled/tap water every day

Is this enough? or should i take more
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    There was an article published in a Mayo Clinic newletter recently on the subject of 8 glasses of water per day. It said that you should count all non-alcoholic drinks as fluid intake, including caffinated, fruit and veggie juices, sodas, tea, because they all hydrate you. It said that not counting caffeinated beverages because they dehydrate you is a myth (though it did not address ultra-caffeinated "power" drinks). It also said that drinking more than 8 glasses a day of non-alcoholic liquid is not good because it can tend to wash some vitamins through your body before they can be absorbed. If you eat a healthy diet packed with fruit and veggies your body is already getting quite a bit of hydration because many have a high water content. Very interesting article.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I only log my water intake as water.
    On workdays I usually drink an equal of 4 glasses of herbal or fruit tea, sweetened with honey. I log them in my diary, but not as water.
    However if I only drink 4 glasses of water, and had 4 glasses of tea, I still consider them as 8 glasses of hydration. After all tea is liquid made from tap water, has almost no calories and fills up.

MM
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    What are the pro's and con's of counting water in your MFP journal? I have logged water some days and NOT logged water other days and I do not see any of the end results change....

Example:

When I log food, my total calories for the day goes down
    WHen I log exercise, my total calories for the day goes up!

When Iog water... I do not see any end result for tracking purposes...
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Coffee should not count towards water, or tea. They have caffine and are not water. I only count water in my onces count. I do drink like crystal light, which is just flavoring and can be counted as water. If you are counting your coffee as water because it's made with water then by that line of though you could count your diet soda as well, it's base is water
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything but plain water should count toward your daily water goal. Even flavored water doesn't flush you quite like plain water. Sure, other beverages are good for hydration, even some fruits have lots of fluid good for hydration. But if you're aiming for a water goal (and to flush toxins), only track water. Plus, coffee has calories. That's my opinion. Not everyone shares it. And that's OK.
  • breezymom81
    Options
    i agree water is water - coffee tea and anyother hot/cold drink with flavourings are a food/beverage

can anyone help me with a little question 8 glasses water/ day what size is a glass - I drink 1.2-2 litres of pure good olf fashioned bottled/tap water every day

Is this enough? or should i take more

8 onces is considered a glass.
  • breezymom81
    Options
    What are the pro's and con's of counting water in your MFP journal? I have logged water some days and NOT logged water other days and I do not see any of the end results change....

Example:

When I log food, my total calories for the day goes down
    WHen I log exercise, my total calories for the day goes up!

When Iog water... I do not see any end result for tracking purposes...

For tracking maybe it doesn't show but if you stall in weight loss or gain some water weight you can go back and say hey no wonder look I only logged 4 cups of water for these days....I think it is help you keep track!
  • AmysNewBeginning
    AmysNewBeginning Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    TRUE! BUT WATER IS GOOD FOR YOU, GETS RID OF TOXINS, CLEANS OUT YOUR SYSTEM, AND HELPS TO KEEP
    YOU FULL! I HAVE READ YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DRINK 1/2 OF YOUR BODY WEIGHT EVERY DAY. HMMM....THAT'S A LOT OF WATER! HAVE A GREAT DAY!
  • AmysNewBeginning
    Options
    RIGHT YUCK!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!
  • breezymom81
    Options
    TRUE! BUT WATER IS GOOD FOR YOU, GETS RID OF TOXINS, CLEANS OUT YOUR SYSTEM, AND HELPS TO KEEP
    YOU FULL! I HAVE READ YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DRINK 1/2 OF YOUR BODY WEIGHT EVERY DAY. HMMM....THAT'S A LOT OF WATER! HAVE A GREAT DAY!

That's what I read to and it makes sense, if we all need different calories then we need diff. amount of water to right? I am going to start trying it today, that's 99 onces
  • AmysNewBeginning
    Options
    RIGHT ON GIRLIE, GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    There was an article published in a Mayo Clinic newletter recently on the subject of 8 glasses of water per day. It said that you should count all non-alcoholic drinks as fluid intake, including caffinated, fruit and veggie juices, sodas, tea, because they all hydrate you. It said that not counting caffeinated beverages because they dehydrate you is a myth (though it did not address ultra-caffeinated "power" drinks). It also said that drinking more than 8 glasses a day of non-alcoholic liquid is not good because it can tend to wash some vitamins through your body before they can be absorbed. If you eat a healthy diet packed with fruit and veggies your body is already getting quite a bit of hydration because many have a high water content. Very interesting article.

This!
  • AmysNewBeginning
    Options
    THANKS ALL FOR ALL YOUR TIPS, SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS! LOVE IT, LOVE THIS SITE!

I WILL NOT COUNT MY COFFEE (YUM) AS MY WATER INTAKE, JUST WILL BE PEE'ING A BUNCH MORE
    NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

80 OZ TODAY HERE WE GO, TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROCK ON PEEPS AND HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY! DO SOMETHING GREAT FOR "YOU", YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Since coffee is a diuretic and in essence dehydrates you, I'm going to go with no.

I'm on my phone any didn't read the other comments. Sorry if someone has already said this.
  • AmysNewBeginning
    Options
    thats what i kept hearing and makes sense! thanks for responding even though you're on the phone!

WAY TO GO ON YOUR 32 LB LOSS!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOOO!
  • breezymom81
    Options
    The other thing I have been told is to drink the same amount from day to day, other wise your body can become confused and start holding on to water. Don't know about how true or accurate but there it is
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    thats what i kept hearing and makes sense! thanks for responding even though you're on the phone!

WAY TO GO ON YOUR 32 LB LOSS!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOO HOOOOO!

Wow, thanks! You're actually the first person who has said that to me.
  • paendrag
    paendrag Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is almost a year old, but I kept seeing the word 'diuretic' and I wanted to add my two bits; it may be helpful or may be rubbish.

In fact, I am just going to quote a response to question posted to a Mayo Clinic nutrinionalist.

"Question

Caffeine: Is it dehydrating or not?
    I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?

Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

Still, caffeinated drinks can make you jittery, sleepless or anxious. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie-free, caffeine-free, inexpensive and readily available."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661