Question about Protein Bar & Sugar Alcohols

Options
Hey all!

I am trying to up my Calories and Protein so I got a Protein Bar for my morning snack to try out. I see it has 200 Calories, 20g of Protein. But it also has 3g of Sugar and 7g of Sugar Alcohols. So what are Sugar Alcohols and should I just stay away from this Protein Bar?

Thanks!

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    What brand is it?
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Won't hurt you in my opinion.
    But you can find bars without it.

quest protein bars don't have sugar alcohols
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    What brand is it?

Pure Protein
  • Nataliethin81
    Nataliethin81 Posts: 315
    Options
    Most protein bars contain sugar alcohols. I really don't think you should stop eating them. I'm sure you can find bars without the sugar alcohols.
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    Won't hurt you in my opinion.
    But you can find bars without it.

quest protein bars don't have sugar alcohols

Thanks for the help!
  • Superdupermom
    Superdupermom Posts: 149
    Options
    try wheaties protein bars their cheap, taste good and have 15 protein and are good for you...but i wouldnt worry too much about it bud!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Try Cliff Builder Bar. I eat those and I'm pretty sure they don't have sugar alcohols.. plus they taste really good!
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sugar alcohols are there for people who have problems with their blood sugar, as it does not raise your blood sugar the way that regular sugar does. Some people have a hard time digesting them and it makes their stomach upset, but for others, it is a godsend.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Sugar alcohol is basically a different form of sugar. If you are diabetic, that is something that you really have to look out for because it has the same chemical properties as sugar. My father is diabetic and one of the things he has to constantly look at when he buys "sugar free" stuff is the sugar alcohol because they load the food up with that to give it a sweeter taste, but in actuality it just makes things difficult for my dad and his disease. So if you are diabetic, watch out for them.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Sugar alcohols are usually ingredients like Sorbitol, Xylitol, Erythritol, and Mannitol. They are usually added to products to reduce the unpleasant aftertaste of artificial sweeteners. They are known to make people sick since they aren't absorbed into the small intestine like sugar. However, they aren't necessarily bad for you either, since they don't cause a significant change in blood glucose.

I chew gum that has Xylitol as a sweetener, but that's pretty much all I ever consume. When I eat a protein bar or meal supplement bar, I try to stick with a brand that has honey, sugar, or raw sugar in it.
  • davejlee
    davejlee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's the same stuff you find in diet sodas and other low-cal, non-fat products. Many protein powders contain small amounts of it as well.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I always Google something when I don't know what it is or want more info on it.
    My DH just brought home some whole grain granola bars that have sugar alcohol in them.
    I'd never heard of sugar alcohol & decided to google it and something I read disturbs me.

"The simplest sugar alcohol, ethylene glycol, is the sweet, but notoriously toxic, chemical used in antifreeze."
    It goes on to say: "The higher sugar alcohols are for the most part nontoxic."
    (most part? toxic?)

After these bars are gone I won't buy anything with sugar alcohol in it.

resource: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_alcohol