Exercise or eating right...which one is more important?

Options
I know they are both necessary on the journey to health and wellness, but I"m curious. Do you think one is more important than the other? If you were only able to do one of them, which would you choose?

Replies

• lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is extremely overweight. He always complains that he does 25 mins a night on the treadmill and it doesn't make any difference. It's because his diet is so bad. In my case, I can't exercise because of an injury and I have to rely on a healthy diet. I think they both rely on one another, but I feel that if you eat bad, no amount of exercise is going to help you. So, the diet is more important to me at least.
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    They're both important, but eating right if you had to choose one.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it depends on you, but for me eating right. Exercise is also important, but less so than my diet.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Double post...nothing to see here! :)
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    diet is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise
  • Last_15
    Last_15 Posts: 129
    Options
    Eating right, otherwise you can exercise forever and not lose a single pound!
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    you cannot out-exercise bad nutrition.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You're right, they're both important. But eating right should definitely be at the top of your priorities. You can work out as much as you want, but if you don't have the correct nutrition, you'll never succeed.

It's easier to keep knock off calories from your diet than it is to burn the calories on a treadmill. It boils down to calorie deficits and nutrient ratios.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine went to a seminar and they told her that eating right and exercising are both important. But, if you are only going to do one of the two, then pick exercise.

(I am not offering advice. Just telling you what my friend said)

4433730.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lmhubbard
    lmhubbard Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Eating right, for sure. Exercise gives your eating right a boost, but my trainer always uses the 80/20 analogy as well. It is 80% nutrition & 20% exercise.
  • cwhite6109
    cwhite6109 Posts: 16
    Options
    Personally, as much as it pains me to say it... diet outweighs (no pun intended) exercise. I spend an hour a day on cardio (eliptical machine and treadmill) 6 days/week and use weights. Ive only lost 10 lbs in 6 months but its because I can't seem to quite get a handle on my nutrition (or lack thereof). Everyday is a battle,
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Nutrition plays a bigger role is weight loss...excercise is the icing on the cake to keep the metabolism up and get toned as the weight comes off and improve the caridovascular function in the body...lowering cholesterol burning fat!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think eating right is for dropping kilos (or pounds) and exercising is for toning and health.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Depends who you are. When I don't exercise I have trouble at work, I don't sleep and eat as well. I rely on it pretty much daily to survive.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I've always heard the 80-20 or 90-10 rule for weight loss. So, eating right is definitely the most important (this is true for me too).

However, once you are at a healthy weight, I'd say the importance of exercise for cardiovascular health and keeping weight off goes up significantly - maybe goes more 50-50......
  • scaryfairy81
    Options
    They are both pretty important, I guess it depends on who you ask. Some "experts" say it's mostly diet, some say it's exercise. I think it's a combination, at least for me, but I am no expert. All I know is that I can keep my weight down with diet, but I feel more healthy when I also exercise. And you can exercise til you are red in the face(literally) but if all you eat is junk, and you consistently eat too much of it, you will still gain weight and probably won't be all that healthy.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I would exercise. I love the strength it gives me and the energy. Also when I exercise I tend to make better food choices without thinking about it. I might eat too much of good things but I eat more good things. When I exercise I want my whole day to be healthy. It keeps me motivated to eat better. But since I don't HAVE to choose in real life I will just try to keep my balance.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Kind of like saying which of my kids I like the most, lol! I think diet matters first, you have to put the right stuff in your body...but exercise is a close 2nd. Like someone said earlier, you really can't out exercise bad nutrition.
  • crystal10584
    crystal10584 Posts: 334
    Options
    for me it's eating right. I've lost most of my weight just eating the way I should...

but I'm trying to work in exercise so the loss doesn't make me flabby.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    diet is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise

correct!