ladies - protein shakes / power stuff?

Options
kmshred
kmshred Posts: 393 Member
yea, pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

dilema: love to work out hard but can never consume near my work out cals. been suggested i get into a protein shake or something along those lines.

do any of ya'll drink/eat that stuff, if so: which, what, how, and has it benefited you concerning weight loss? do NOT wanna bulk up, here to lose.

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    just find a low cal protein powder.

scivation whey is under 100 cals i believe.
    I've tried and liked: optimum nutrition whey. Bodytech whey. Syntha 6 (higher in cals and sugar).
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    yea, pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

dilema: love to work out hard but can never consume near my work out cals. been suggested i get into a protein shake or something along those lines.

do any of ya'll drink/eat that stuff, if so: which, what, how, and has it benefited you concerning weight loss? do NOT wanna bulk up, here to lose.

I drink a soy protein that's 170 calories plus agg strawberries and water/ice. It's really good and gets me refreshed after a workout!

I only use half a scopp tho, a full one seems to overpower and give it a chalky taste so it only comes to about 130 calories for the entire smoothie!
  • Bijee
    Bijee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just be careful of the cholesterol in them. My husbands cholesterol jumped up and we realized it was related to the protein powder he was using. Be sure to check the labels. Good luck!
  • iarelis
    iarelis Posts: 3
    Options
    If you hate the flavor of protein shakes and can afford the calories, Syntha-6 is delicious with skim milk. I can't, so I am doing 100% whey for ON. The taste is ok and it is low in calories. I am not a fitness anything, but I think that if you stay withing your recommended caloric intake you should be ok. The bulking up comes from supplements like testosterone. Getting fatter is a product of more fat and calories so, watch what you eat and keep excercising.
  • Britt22706
    Britt22706 Posts: 97
    Options
    Your best bet is a whey protein, not a soy protein. I've been drinking protein shakes or eating a protein bar after all of my hard workouts. If you really workout as hard as you say you do, it is a great choice! It helps your body recover faster from a hard workout, therefore, building lean muscle.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein Whey Powder. It comes in flavors and I add it my morning and evening yogurts. I have no problem with cholesterol levels because of it. The fat is actually quite low in that brand,
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Lift, lift heavy - eat/drink your protein. You will not bulk up! You're not a man! You need protein!!
    Great article - please read!
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm
  • kmshred
    kmshred Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    this is all REALLY helpful. thank you.
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just be careful of the cholesterol in them. My husbands cholesterol jumped up and we realized it was related to the protein powder he was using. Be sure to check the labels. Good luck!

My boyfriend had the same problem - as always, read the nutrition label before purchasing!

Definitely look into them though, I love them! I drink Worldwide Sports Nutrition: Pure Protein (usually vanilla) because I can buy it between working out and going to work. I'm sure if you look into it you can find a better, healthier, cheaper option. I've also been trying to make homemade protein bars with varying success.

Basically, protein bars/shakes are great!
  • GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    i dont know about protein shakes stuff......but you are hot.
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Lift, lift heavy - eat/drink your protein. You will not bulk up! You're not a man! You need protein!!
    Great article - please read!
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/womans_lean_sexy_bible.htm

Great website! Thanks for sharing!
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    ^^as the above people stated, some of them are high cholesterol.
    Probably not a huge problem if you're fit, but still something that can be avoided by a better quality protein.

Check the labels/ingredients before buying.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I take Inner Armour Nitro Peak with Whey Isolate. It taste good and only 2g of sugar. I've tried other brands but they don;t taste as good as Nitro Peak stuff.
  • georgealm27
    Options
    I use Metabolic Drive, Low Carb. 110 calories a scoop w 20g of protein. You can get it at t-nation.com
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I drink my Herbalife nutrition/protein shakes which (when you add skim milk, soy milk, or lactaid) contains nearly half of your day's vitamins and nutrients, 18g of high-quality protein, and tastes AMAZING!!!

Oh, and all only 180 calories total. Perfect post-workout snack, you can even add in a piece of fruit if you want :)

Check out my food diary for more info cuz I drink them 2x a day. I'm at my lowest weight ever!
  • Domestica
    Domestica Posts: 91
    Options
    I wholeheartedly agree that you need a protein shake after your hard workouts. They are an instant fuel for your protein synthesis (the repair of your muscles after your workout) because they have easily-digestable protein that your body can get to right away.

That said, I wrote a brief article on why we should stay away from protein isolates -- which are found in most protein shakes -- and give suggestions on why you should look for products that use "protein concentrates" instead.

http://natashakay.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/isolated-protein/

Hope it helps! :)
  • io278983
    io278983 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use one scoop of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Double Rich Chocolate. I used it after work outs when I sweat a lot and the next day I way less sore. Sometimes I add it with water and its alright but when I add it with some milk, it is delish! Plus I got it on Amazon so it was a great price. They have it in a bunch of flavors too. Once I finish this one I will move on to another flavor. I really like the quality of the protein and I definitely don't want to bulk up either.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    I use one scoop of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Double Rich Chocolate. I used it after work outs when I sweat a lot and the next day I way less sore. Sometimes I add it with water and its alright but when I add it with some milk, it is delish! Plus I got it on Amazon so it was a great price. They have it in a bunch of flavors too. Once I finish this one I will move on to another flavor. I really like the quality of the protein and I definitely don't want to bulk up either.

gold standard is good stuff.
    I used it for a while. :)
  • IyonnaF
    IyonnaF Posts: 101
    Options
    try the GNC lean shake in vanilla... its a little chalky, like every other protein shake out there, but if you add a banana, it combats that.. plus its really good and low in calories!
  • JenniCH
    JenniCH Posts: 74
    Options
    I like Premier Nutrition Chocolate Protein Shakes (I buy them at Costco... $24 for an 18 pack so not a bad price at all in comparison!)
    It has 30g of protein, only 1g of sugar, and 160 cals etc.
    It actually tastes pretty good to me! And one serving is about 11 oz. so pretty filling (in my opinion)