the "eating when you're not hungry" dilemma

Options
SHBoss1673
SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
A lot of people on here post with a question similar to this:

"I'm not hungry, it's after dinner, and I worked out, do I still need to eat the extra calories?"

And there are almost always 2 very separate and distinct thoughts on this.

I would like to clear up how it's geared to work if you follow MFP's recommendations explicitly.

Just so we have a solid starting point, let’s assume that the person in question has done the goals wizard
and put in the correct information and chosen an appropriate goal for weekly weight loss (not always true, but we have to start somewhere).

With the above statement as a given, the two opinions are basically:

1) Eat them, always.

and

2) If you're not hungry, don't eat or "Listen to your body."

Before we go any further, I'd like to detail how the human body normally registers hunger and how that normal process can become distorted in people who are unhealthy.

For people who are at a healthy weight, and have no metabolic conditions, and who eat generally healthy, hunger is a sign of energy need. When you need energy, your body sends out signals in the form of hormones that trigger the brain to say "feed me!” . The two main hormones affecting hunger levels are Ghrelin and Leptin. Ghrelin is a short term, "feed me now" hormone that governs our immediate desire for food, whereas Leptin is a longer term satiety response to feeding. These two hormones work in concert to each other. When healthy, the hormones are sent out at the correct times and in the correct amounts based on how much energy is needed.

The first argument (Eat them, always)

Studies done on these hormones suggest that in obese people, the central nervous system may become desensitized to the Leptin response (RE: Roles of Leptin and Ghrelin in the Loss of Body Weight Caused by a Low Fat, High Carbohydrate Diet" - The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 88(4):1577–1586 ).

Research is unclear as yet as to the exact cause of the insensitivity to these hormones, but the outcome is the same, essentially in many obese people, hormones are incorrectly interpreted. This means that for those of you (myself included in the past) who aren't considered to be at a "normal" or "healthy" weight (I.E. obese) may not be receiving the correct signals about when to eat, when not to eat, and how much to eat to satiate your hunger levels.
That means you should be relying on our higher brain function to figure out when to eat and when not to eat. Eventually, your body will correct the hormone insensitivity, but until that occurs, it's not accurate to say that your body knows when it needs energy.

The second argument (eat when you are hungry).

This works if you're generally healthy, but only to a degree. If weight loss has been an issue in your past, many times eating is a psychological "control" issue, and thus even if our body is physically sending out certain levels of hormones, your brain could be either masking those hormone levels and/or heightening the sensitivity to those levels subconsciously in order to satisfy some primal response to trauma in your life. At least until you can confirm that your body is correctly signaling for food, you should be very aware of when you feel hungry, and how much you are eating before you feel full.

It boils down to this: You can't just "eat when you're hungry", you must make sure, first, that your body is correctly telling you when to eat and how much, and until you can confirm that, you should NOT trust those signals.

The question then becomes: How do I eat those extra calories.
It's actually not that difficult, but it takes practice. You must do some prep work ahead of time, if you know you're going to be exercising on a given day, estimate how much, and add extra calories throughout the day, don't try to stuff yourself at the end of the day, after a few weeks of this, it's not that difficult to do, but you do have to actively practice it or it won't work. Make it a habit, that's the easiest way to do it.

Hope this helps people out there.

-Banks

Replies

• innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this :)
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    That is really informative! Thank you for sharing!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Yay! Love it. :bigsmile:
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Thank you. A very interesting and thoughtful post!
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    bump to read later
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great info.
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thank you for citing your source.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Excellent post as usual.
  • weallhaveastory
    Options
    bump
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Great post. I try to eat half my exercise calories at least and start eating them earlier in the day. The scary thing is if I don't make it to work out...hasn't happened yet, but I always worry about that. Also, I found when I don't start eating them earlier, then I don't have the energy needed to do my workouts...
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Great post, thank you! I've been getting frustrated that the forum questions often fight this basic knowledge and logic that you have presented here.
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    very good post!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Great, science based info. If we could just listen to our bodies and do what's right instinctively, NONE of us would be here. LOL. We all have to learn or re-learn how to eat and exercise right. Thank you.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    bump for later
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Well written as usual. Thanks for covering this topic as there are very many people who are having trouble with this. I have gone through this and seen the different results. I eat how much my plan tells me and when I have it planned to eat and NEVER have trouble clearing my plate. If I do plan on working out late, I eat up earlier to FORCE me to follow through on the planned exercise.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • etjaneausten
    etjaneausten Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you.
  • bwyne03
    bwyne03 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Perfect. As per your usual. Love it when you give great informative advise in layman's terms! You rock, Banks!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So one thing I see once in a while is the "What if I plan to eat exercise calories but then I don't exercise?"

I propose a simple solution to this small problem. Never exercise more than your deficit. Or at least not on days where you aren't absolutely sure you will be able to exercise.

What does this do? You may ask. Think about it logically, OK so maybe you don't LOSE any weight that day, but if you don't exercise more than your deficit then you can't eat more than maintenance, so you'd never actually gain weight. It's a bit of an insurance policy.

I.E. my maintenance is 2675, say I want a 500 calorie deficit to lose 1 lb a week.

so on any normal day MFP sets me up to eat 2175 calories, now, if I'm exercising that day for say 400 calories, I'll plan on 2575 calories for that day, but say I became really busy that day and couldn't exercise, well I'm still at a deficit for the day, but it's only 100 instead of 500. Not AWESOME, but not a tragedy either.