First half marathon - do I need power gels/sports beans?

Options
I've never had any sort of power gels/sports beans/etc. while running, but I've also never ran a half marathon. The longest I've ran is a 10-miler with nothing (just water stations) at the end of March - are power gels or some equivalent something I should DEFINITELY do for a half, or can I get away with just the water stations?

Race day is May 29!

[Obviously if the answer is YES, I know I need to do some trial runs before the race day to make sure it agrees with my stomach :) ]

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd lean towards yes.

I like to have some extra electrolytes and simple carbs when doing a lot of running.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I did my 1st half marathon after doing my 1st 10-miler (both last year). I would really suggest the gel. Just 1 "gel" should do it, but around mile 8-10 you'll want it.

**EDIT - I was in the same boat, so wasn't sure - but it really helped. I did the "Bloks" thing
  • hdchic78
    hdchic78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've run 5 half marathons, with another coming up next sunday, and have never used any gels or beans... all my training plans revolve around proper hydration and I do fine with that.....if you've trained this far without them, I'd say wait till AFTER this one to "experiment" at all..... just my 2 cents.
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    I would recommend having something. Just water isn't enough. I like the gels but do whatever you like best. You're right you need to try this prior to race day.

Good Luck!!
  • new_view
    new_view Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am just starting on my training for running a 5k lol. But my brother was training for a half marathon and we were running talking about the gels and he said for a half marathon you would probably want some gels further along in the race as chris said around 8-10 miles you will have definitely burned all the calories you took in before and will need a kick.
  • mjp202
    mjp202 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Does your race have some kind of sports drink at the aid stations? In my experience, alternating between water and sports drink is sufficient for a half marathon, but I prefer races that offer a gel/food station about 9 miles in. If your race only offers water, I'd plan on bringing something (doesn't have to be in solid form--sports drink is probably fine) to replace electrolytes and glycogen stores.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's wisdom!! I am going to pick up a small assortment from the store today and give them a try this week, I think it would be a good idea to have them with me JUST IN CASE, as a preventative measure - that way if I start to fade at mile 8-10, I'll have the ability to refuel!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    P.S. Just looked up the aid stations and the site says:

"Three aid stations along the course. 5K runners pass an aid station twice, and half-marathoners pass aid stations six times (approximately every two miles). Each aid station has water and an electrolyte beverage (TBD). First aid, course marshals, and EMS bike support on the course as well."
  • mjp202
    mjp202 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good luck! If you keep up the distance running, you'll eventually encounter the really unpleasant experience of depleting your glycogen stores completely (also known as "hitting the wall"). It is no fun, so its definitely worthwhile learning how your body handles eating while running.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Each aid station has water and an electrolyte beverage (TBD).
    Typically this is Gatorade. If you are ok with that, you may not need the gels. In my expereience, when I drink Gatorade on a run, my mouth gets a bit gluey/tangy for the rest of the race. That's why I suggest gels. But as everyone says, it is a matter of preference, and with proper hydration and pre-race diet you'll do great. Good luck!
  • kghamilton
    kghamilton Posts: 19
    Options
    Your body shouldn't need anything for a 1/2 marathon. If you are eating properly there will be plenty of glycogen in your muscles for that distance. I don't bring anything but water for runs under 15-16 miles. Gatorade will probably be available and you can try drinking some of that for a carb boost if you feel you need one.

Gels and those types of products are fairly new to distance running. Sports drinks and water used to be the only things available. Times aren't getting faster. I try to rely mainly on sports drinks in marathons and training, as the availability of them can be sporadic in races, as well as the flavors. Nothing worse than getting to mile 18 and trying to choke back some disgusting flavor. With sports drink only, I also don't have to carry anything. Water/sports drink stops every 2 miles is common and your body can't digest fluids any faster than that anyway.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    That is so funny...the gu and chomp make my teeth feel furry...I prefer gatorade every other station or every 3 miles for that distance...but I am still learning what to eat for marathon distance[

quote]
    Each aid station has water and an electrolyte beverage (TBD).
    Typically this is Gatorade. If you are ok with that, you may not need the gels. In my expereience, when I drink Gatorade on a run, my mouth gets a bit gluey/tangy for the rest of the race. That's why I suggest gels. But as everyone says, it is a matter of preference, and with proper hydration and pre-race diet you'll do great. Good luck!
    [/quote]
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Some of it depends on you and your speed. If you're finishing under 2 hours, you generally will have enough carbs/electrolytes on board to not need anything supplemental other than perhaps gatorade. Also, you want to take a gel or alternative before you start to fade, not after. After you bonk it's awfully hard to get back, so if you think there's a chance you could start to fade at mile 10-12, take your gu at mile 8-9. It takes 5-10 minutes to really kick in and get from your mouth, through your stomach, and into your bloodstream. Good lu ck, and remember as others have said to do your experimenting well before race day.

My wife's first half marathon in June 11, and we're using Clif Shot Bloks. 1 blok every 2 miles. Yummm.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    That is so funny...the gu and chomp make my teeth feel furry...I prefer gatorade every other station or every 3 miles for that distance...but I am still learning what to eat for marathon distance[

I have a powerbar powder I use at half-time for soccer games and I get the same feeling. The sugar sticks to my teeth and they feel awful
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sunday was my first Half Marathon, as you know :)

I say YES! :D Read my blog post about it. I think the gel helped me get through. There are heaps on the market and I had NO idea which one to use, so I just grabbed the Powerbar Apple flavour Gel. I had half at the half way point just before the drink station (to follow it up with water) and the other half at the 3/4 mark (same thing with the water station).

I also think just one will do you, but IF you can go for 2 then I would say go for that too, I think I will use two next time :)

Good luck Molly!!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I normally just use the sports drinks they have already.

Although I have been trying out the Roctane stuff but only as a pre-run supplement. I got good results out of it though.
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'd stick with the electrolyte drinks available at the station. You shouldn't need more fuel for a half, the main issue is maintaining your body's hydration status and electrolyte balance, which the powerade/gatorade type drinks they offer will do fine (bear in mind these will contain some sugar anyway - providing a small blood sugar boost).
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends how long it's going to take you. I'm very slow and for anything over 90 minutes I need some sort of fuel. I use SIS GO gels as they're isotonic, not too sweet and you don't have to glug loads of water to dilute them.
  • kghamilton
    kghamilton Posts: 19
    Options
    For anyone has issues with gels and their taste/texture, try Accel Gels. I generally buy the chocolate ones. They are a little thinner consistency. They are also the only brand that I have found that has some protein in there as well. Research has shown that then protein helps with the carb intake. The key lime one was good as well.

Taking too many gels can lead to intestinal issues, which is a big problem for a lot of runners, particularly as they get into long distances. Sports drinks and gels provide the same function, providing some carbohydrate. At some point the carb intake is psychological. There was a study that showed that people who took a sports drink during heavy exertion of exercise and spit it out, got a positive physical response just from the taste of the drink, without actually consuming any of it. If I can find the article, I'll let you know.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I used them for training and my half. During race day i took one whenever i started to feel tired or achy which ended up to be about 3. they really do help. i had one within the first two miles because i didnt have time to eat a decent breakfast figured i better get something in my system if i want to run 13 miles. i order a gu sampler on amazon (u can get them other places too) and grabbed a few others to try. they're not bad but sticky!