Happy with my first 5K

Options
Ran my first 5K last Saturday and must say I was very proud of myself! I am a slow runner. Been running 13 min. miles and couldn't seem to up my time. I told my family I would be very surprised and happy if I ran it in 36 min. I was shocked when I got to the course and realized it was a cross country course. While I was running, I kept thinking OMG I can't believe this course. It was very challenging. Up a couple of steep rocky hills, tall grass, mud, mud and more mud, and even steps. My shoes were soaked from the very beginning. I kept saying Oh Lord my time is going to be at least 50 min. I was telling myself , I am not going to post my time on MFP it would be too embarrassing. I was behind these two younger ladies the whole time and kept thinking, geez I would love to pass them. When I got near the finish I sprinted and passed the two ladies and crossed the finish line, I was soooo happy to hear the lady yell 36 min. Wow, totally surprised, and brought tears to my eyes! Now I can't wait to run in a normal 5K and see what my time will be? When I first started I couldn't even run one lap around the track!

Replies

• YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! Keep challenging yourself and amazing yourself!! Way to go!
    Risa
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    well done :drinker: :happy:
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This brought me back to my first 5K 2 years ago. You never forget your first race. Awesom job, and cross country too! Simply amazing girl! Keep up your great effort and try for another soon. :)
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    That's excellent, well done, good time for your first race! we're all capable of challenging ourselves to get fitter and stronger and that time will gone down in no time! be proud!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Congrats, that is a job well done! :)
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Great effort! I'd be very happy with that too :wink:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Keep it up! Running becomes a passion that gets etched into your soul! Sounds like you are well on your way!
  • emalay
    emalay Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Your post gets me motivated and excited to run my very first 5k in 25 days!! Thanks for sharing!
    Great job on your race, I am sure it is the first of many to come!!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a scary course! You did amazing! Are you signed up for another one already?
  • ZaidaOlivo
    ZaidaOlivo Posts: 56
    Options
    awesome!
    it's such a great feeling :bigsmile:
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    :laugh: VICTORY DANCE! :drinker:
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    Congratulations on your first 5k!!!!!! I'm so happy it was such a positive experience for you. Keep up the good work!
  • funsover
    funsover Posts: 39
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Great accomplishment. I run my first 5K this coming Saturday and you have motivated me so much, so, thank you.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Great job! the adrenaline just gets you going faster. :drinker:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I have my first 'race' coming up..it's a special here in town and it's 4.1 miles..I will be happy with anything under an hour frankly. 36 min is a great time!!
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You did amazing. Can't wait for my first race :smile:
  • nachisdoll
    nachisdoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    way to go!!!:tongue:
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Wow!! That's awesome! :happy:
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    fabulous! I started not being able to run once around the 1/10th mile track back in February, and I am training for my 5K in May. I am also hoping for 36 mins or less! You are awesome!
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 5K! That is absolutely exciting and there is nothing better than finding out you are so much stronger than you think!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!