Needing Advice on Trimming Belly Fat

Options
Other than sit ups, what else (diet or exercise wise) helps with belly fat? I am visibly loosing other places, but my belly area (for which I am blaming my 3 kids-lol) doesn't seem to be shrinking at all! As a matter of fact, my daughter told me last weekend that I'm "looking good, except your belly still looks pregnant!" She's only 7 folks, so she's still brutally honest:laugh: Any advice?? Much appreciated!!

Replies

• jennyk82
    jennyk82 Posts: 10
    Options
    Bump, I want to know too! Darn kiddos :laugh:
  • christinar2008
    christinar2008 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Nothing you can do really. You can't exercise to lose in certain spots. In all honesty your belly will probably be the last to go. Normally happens that way but everyone is different.
  • DST513
    DST513 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i don't know any but what i hear is the body looses in the area it wants and eventually the belly fat will come off with good dieting and exercises
  • feliciapeters
    feliciapeters Posts: 525
    Options
    You cant spot lose fat. Too bad huh, it comes of where/when it wants to. Ab exercises will help the muscle inderneath look good when the fat comes off. Just keep it up
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen! Unfortunately you can't spot reduce... you need to lower your overall body fat%. You can do this by strength training, supported by cardio and clean eating. After lifting heavier in the past few weeks and paying more attention to my 'diet' I feel a difference in my belly area. If you do cardi, HIIT is also great.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i have the same issue, everything else looks great except my belly. ha! i can only think of doing more cardio and watching your foods, (fat and sugar intake), which is what i'm trying to do as well. my lower half is worse than the top. i have a four pack up top and a keg at the bottom. :sad:
  • mon3011
    mon3011 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have the same problem.I can lose weight from other places but not the belly and after losing fat from other places,my stomach becomes more prominent
    I also need advise on trimming belly fat. .
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You can't really spot reduce, you can only lose weight all over. The sit ups and things will help you to look slimmer, but to get rid of the fat you need cardio. Lots and lots fo cardio! And for women the belly area is usally one of the last places that the fat decides too come off of.
    I haven't looked at your diary, but I've been having success eating less carbs (I'm not on a low carb diet).
    Those two things have REALLY helped out the fat loss :)
    Good luck :)
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    No such thing as "spot" reducing. Eating healthy and exercising WILL work in time. I really didn't see much of a change in my belly fat until I had lost about 25 lbs.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce (Regardless of the TV Claims and product claims you'll see everywhere).

The best you can do is train your core and support muscles so that you are posturally better, thus "tighter" around the midsection.

Front and Side planks are great for your midsection, Lunges and deadlifts will work your glutes and spinal erectors, Swiss Ball pushups as well force you to stabilize your entire core through the Range of Motion.

Again...none of these will Target the midsection body fat...but will increase your stabilization and posture so you're standing taller and more fit through the mid-section.

The belly fat will come in time, through regular exercise and diet. That being said....increasing your lean mass with strength training will make you more efficient at burning calories.

Best regards,
  • judogrrl
    judogrrl Posts: 6
    Options
    The easiest way to flatten your belly is to practice good posture.
    Draw a line from hip bone to hip bone.
    Put your finger on the middle of this line then pull in your abdomen away from your finger.
    Now do that all the time. You will have to remind yourself throughout the day but eventually it becomes habit.

Most people will find this hard to do at first. You need to tuck in your rear and strengthen the lower abs.
    This is a good posture for your back and will make your stomach look flatter.

20 Minutes of sit-ups is no match for 12 hours of good posture.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Ever since I was a not overweight teenager, my tummy has been a problem area and the part of my body I've been most ashamed of. When I was 14 a classmate asked if I was pregnant (I was ~115 lb). I wish I knew the answer to this.

I never knew you could not spot lose. Good to know. As I've been losing weight and doing cardio, it has gotten smaller. Not to what I'd like though.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    In addition to what almost everyone else has said about not being able to spot reduce fat...make sure you're engaging your core muscles (sucking-in) while you exercise, sit at the computer, stand, walk...ALL DAY...make a conscience note to self to suck in the belly! Will help tremendously!
  • KayJayKing
    KayJayKing Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i have the same issue, everything else looks great except my belly. ha! i can only think of doing more cardio and watching your foods, (fat and sugar intake), which is what i'm trying to do as well. my lower half is worse than the top. i have a four pack up top and a keg at the bottom. :sad:

Hahaha! "four pack....keg". That's good!:laugh:
  • pdcarrell
    pdcarrell Posts: 101
    Options
    I don't know of any miracle belly Banishing workouts I'd suggest any ab workouts to help but I bought this $5 Golds Gym sweat belt at walmart and it seems to help pull a lot of sweat from my midsection if worn directly on your skin I love it it's a must now when I exercise
  • mllowe2
    mllowe2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Hahaha! Thanks for the laugh...and thanks everyone, I guess I bought into those infomercials I really thought you could target the belly somehow....guess I'll just keep trucking along and remind myself to be patient. THANKS AGAIN!!