taco seasoning?

Options
ziggle_7
ziggle_7 Posts: 81 Member
hey everyone i was just wondering if anyone has an alternative taco seasoning to the store bought one. I love taco seasoning in my stir fry but i hate all the extra sodium! know any recipes?

Replies

• ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cumin (this is where the "taco" flavor comes from), and salt if you want to add it. Just made tacos last night with this instead of the usual seasoning packet and they came out delish.
  • ziggle_7
    ziggle_7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! ill try it out!
  • carlfry
    carlfry Posts: 62
    Options
    I have some taco seasoning packets left to use up, but I will try what was mentioned above. YUMMY! I love tacos :D
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Are they equal parts?

I have made my own before but I'd like to create a bottle of it and keep it on hand. I could use taco seasoning everywhere.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cumin (this is where the "taco" flavor comes from), and salt if you want to add it. Just made tacos last night with this instead of the usual seasoning packet and they came out delish.

Personally, I also add cayenne pepper and a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste to this. Also, using actual garlic and onions may cut back on the sodium even further, as the powders sometimes have sodium added to them.
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I do the dried minced onion, garlic powder, black pepper, cumin, chili powder, and onion powder. I use the same mix with a dash of liquid smoke for my fajitas. :)
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    They have reduced sodium taco powder...
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Are they equal parts?

I would like to know this as well....
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Penzey's also makes some different taco seasonings that are lower in salt than the store packets.
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe I use... http://www.food.com/recipe/taco-seasoning-mix-2642 I leave out the salt though...my whole family likes it.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I will have to try this. I have just been getting reduced sodium ones and then only adding one package to 2 or 3 pounds of meat. Get the flavour but divide the sodium up over more portions.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    great info ;)
    I love taco's too....but hate the sodium!!
  • ladybug1620
    Options
    Are they equal parts?

I would like to know this as well....
    I actually just eyeball it according to what I know that we like. I use those spices a lot, so I just kinda shake it until I feel like it's enough. You could always eyeball it with a little and then taste it, and add more if not to your liking.
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    made my own seasoning just last night with ground turkey. i used garlic powder, paprika, pepper, chili powder, and oregano. i would have used some chopped onions but i was being lazy :)
  • ladybug1620
    Options

Personally, I also add cayenne pepper and a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste to this. Also, using actual garlic and onions may cut back on the sodium even further, as the powders sometimes have sodium added to them.
    Great ideas here too! I don't like spicy so I skip the cayenne, but my hubby would love it. Add tomato paste/sauce if you like your tacos a little more "wet" consistency.
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Here's another that doesn't use chili powder and smaller amounts.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe I use... http://www.food.com/recipe/taco-seasoning-mix-2642 I leave out the salt though...my whole family likes it.

I have a recipe I made from several I found online that is similar to this one. I don't use cornstarch and I use 1/2 cup water and 1lb ground beef. I use 1/2 tsp sea salt instead of 1 tsp regular salt. It is very good and I usually add a bit more chili powder and cayenne pepper for a more spicy version. It is really good with corn tortillas, all the usually fixings, and add lime wedges to squirt on and some cilantro. So yummy.
  • Sho_Rowell
    Sho_Rowell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Awesome suggestions! As a side note, anyone have any good salsa recipes? I have the same problem with that, since I like to put salsa on my eggs but the jarred salsas are so high in sodium...