what triggers your bad eating habits and how are you changin

Options
mrmarius
mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
as i'm trying to eat cleaner and healthier etc i'm noticing alot of things about how i eat. the biggest thing i've found is often i'm not hungry when i'm eating but instead bored. it seems as if when i get bored i have a craving usually for something crunchy which usually ends up being chips or something like that. right now i'm not sure what i'm gonna do to remedy it but i'm more cognizant of it so maybe i'll control it better

Replies

• allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    TOM!! I don't know WHY I have such cravings for chocolate at that time but I do and I am not sure what to do about it, I wish I knew!!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Baked Kale can be a great substitute for chips.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Definitely TOM. I tend to go kinda crazy during that week. I'm hoping it won't be so bad now that I am being stricter with my diet 6 days a week, and allowing one day to eat whatever I want. I think I will do better now that there are limits, but I guess we'll see in a few weeks!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Well you could stay really busy, find alternatives for chips such as healthy chips, or crunch on carrots, celery. I like "food should taste good multigrain chips" Hope this helps. I also eat soy crisps. They come in all sorts of flavors. Just a thought
  • VictorinoDennis
    Options
    So my wife is pregnant and has no TOM but I swear I got it for her. At the end of the month for like 3 days I wanna eat junk. Hard to maintain but my wife is my support and makes low cal treats for me.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

I am going to have to try that. Sounds great!
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I am going to have to try that. Sounds great!

I saw Hungry Girl do this! Great idea.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Late nights are bad for me. That's when I get bored and want to eat. I used to keep sugar snap peas around the house and ate them raw - they satisfied the need for crunch.

I'm triggered by other people eating. My husband and I have to drive about 45 minutes to see family, so we usually stop at a gas station. It took me a LONG time to not grab a full sugar Coke and a candy bar for the trip. It's hard for me to stop eating at family functions. If everyone's grazing, it's near impossible for me NOT to.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I notice that when I'm bored I crave the same things - crunchy! I usually want Goldfish crackers. What I did last night was drink a big glass of water. It usually helps, but I don't always do it...I don't know why. Just need to start being diligent about it.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    TOM!! I don't know WHY I have such cravings for chocolate at that time but I do and I am not sure what to do about it, I wish I knew!!

I wish that people would quit blaming me for all of their problems.

Sincerely,

TOM Smith
  • kcmckillip
    kcmckillip Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My triggers are 1) just after I go shopping and I want to try everything I just bought. 2) Just after I get home from work I want to gorge on snacks and drink a cold soda. 3)When I have a sinus headached (a common occurence), I get the munchies. 4) when I decide to take a day to relax.

I've managed to control the first two just through portion control and recognition. I have a reasonable snack and then stop. I am still struggling with the second two, especially today, since both are in force. . .
  • westo22
    westo22 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a Trader Joe's you can try these as an alternative :

Trader Joes Baked Salt and Vinegar chips:
    http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/trader-joes/baked-potato-chips-salt-26-vinegar/

Seriously delicious and only 120 calories for 20 chips, I can eat quite a bit and 20 chips is a nice snack.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Boredom, Stress, and Emotional Eating
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a Trader Joe's you can try these as an alternative :

Trader Joes Baked Salt and Vinegar chips:
    http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/trader-joes/baked-potato-chips-salt-26-vinegar/

Seriously delicious and only 120 calories for 20 chips, I can eat quite a bit and 20 chips is a nice snack.

They sound great! I'll have to stop at Trader Joe's and pick some up.
  • allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options

I wish that people would quit blaming me for all of their problems.

Sincerely,

TOM Smith

:noway: IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!! LOL
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Going out....gets me most of the time
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree with Tom Smith...stop blaming TOM! haha...Don't you always want chocolate, candy, chips, regardless of what time of the month it is????I think TOM is just an excuse :)
  • kshaw09
    kshaw09 Posts: 48
    Options
    My triggers are 1) just after I go shopping and I want to try everything I just bought. 2) Just after I get home from work I want to gorge on snacks and drink a cold soda. 3)When I have a sinus headached (a common occurence), I get the munchies. 4) when I decide to take a day to relax.

I've managed to control the first two just through portion control and recognition. I have a reasonable snack and then stop. I am still struggling with the second two, especially today, since both are in force. . .

When I get home from work is the worst for me as well.. I just want to eat whatever I can find even tho i'm not hungry... still working on controlling this
  • musicoflife08
    Options
    Usually eating out. Even though it's not good for you, I eat out quite often I just try to fit it into my calories for the day, or work out a little more since I think I've gotten as far as I'm going to get with not eating out. I used to eat out almost everyday, but now I eat out two or three times a week. I guess you have to make compromises.

I've never had a problem with cravings when TOM comes around...so maybe I'm just lucky?
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Emotional eater here... and I was diagnosed with a-typical depression so I went on fluoxitine (prozac). Helped me immensly. Keeps the emotions in check and I have motivation to exercise now. AND the exercise had additional anti-depression effects so its all good. Keeps me from eating too badly but I do indulge once in a while now instead of daily.