rule of thumb for measuring 1 oz of softer cheese?

Options
I live by those handy "rules of thumb" for measurements, like a 4 oz of chicken breast = deck of cards. But I can't seem to find any clear consensus on cheese. I eat soft mozzarella frequently and I don't know how to count 1 oz. I looked online and all of the estimates seem to vary, or they don't really use things I can easily picture, or both (see below). Does anyone have a good, fairly reliable "rule of thumb" for eyeballing softer cheese amounts?

Here's what I've found online:

1 oz =4 dice stacked together or the size of your thumb

1-1/2 oz natural cheese =9-volt battery, 3 dominoes

Seriously, when is the last time I played dominoes?

(And what's with all the gambling measurements -deck of cards, dominoes, dice? Eating unknown quantities is always a gamble, I guess...)

Replies

• shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My weightloss class insist is the size of 1 or 2 dice
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    scales...the only way to measure properly is to use scales
  • reldnahcire
    Options
    I have found this scale:

EatSmart Precision Pro - Multifunction Digital Kitchen Scale w/ Extra Large LCD and 11 Lb. Capacity

from Amazon really helpful for weight loss because I found rules of thumb had a little too much wiggle room for me to consistently make the progress I wanted.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, I have a soft spreadable cheese that the serving is 2 Tbsp. Does that help?
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? I have one and love it. I used to use it all the time and now I can eye most of the foods I eat on a regular basis. They are fairly cheap for a 1lb scale, I got mine at Target for about $10.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I'm looking to use this "rule of thumb" also while I am not at home, like at a restaurant or a party. Can't really whip out a food scale there.

(I've been seeing food scales as the next level of commitment/obsession to this whole thing, and at 5"5' and now 123 lbs I'm not ready to go there at home... yet. I just got a heart rate monitor, which I saw as the exercise equivalent of the food scale, so I'm a little hesitant to go whole hog! So to speak.)