Mother's Day makes me sort of sad...

Options
And I am trying not to let it get the best of me this year. Being over-emotional causes me to lose sight of my personal weight loss goals more often than not, so I am trying my best to keep focused.

As a kid, my mom was kind of a drifter. Never totally out of my life or anything, but I never knew where she was either. Her Mother's Day gifts would always come back to me in the mail. My dad did a pretty good job of raising me. And my mom and I are great friends now. But for whatever reason, the holiday would make me sad even back then.

And now, I am a mom. I have a BEAUTIFUL five year old daughter. Her father and I divorced shortly after she was born and we share weekly joint custody. He has never really done anything to honor the holiday and Ava is a bit too small (although I DO look forward to what she might make for me in school... I will hang it with pride). My current love (whom I have lived with for the past three years) made several plans to honor me last year, but then he cancelled them for a business trip (which I later found out was a secret trip to Vegas with his best friend). Last year was the worst of them all, I think, because I had to take Ava back to my ex at Noon. So I spent the rest of the day alone... and sad.

So anyway, just venting. It just kinda seems to be my cursed day. And quite frankly, I look forward to it passing. I thought, perhaps, if I put all my feelings out there, it might rob them of some of their power. I do, however, want to honor all of YOU amazing moms out there. And I hope your families make you feel as amazing as you deserve! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I hate to hear this ... I am so in awe of you as a mom. You face challenges that most of us will never truly understand. In my eyes you are the most amazing mom on the planet and I think you deserve a special day just for you!!!!
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    I too have a hard time with mother's day. I have three amazing kids. But I don't have my mom anymore. I lost her to cancer 6 years ago. So it is very bittersweet day for me. Just remember you are amazing and your daughter is very lucky to have you.
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY:flowerforyou:

You deserve to be happy and put yourself first. Hope your little one makes something lovely. Why don't you treat yourself to something too? Some flowers or new clothes?

Hope it works out for you xx
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • srhdwll
    srhdwll Posts: 65
    Options
    Celebrate yourself! Take yourself out for a pedicure or something. Buy yourself some flowers. My daughter is only 2 and my husband has told me multiple times not to expect anything special, very nice of him.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I too have a hard time with mother's day. I have three amazing kids. But I don't have my mom anymore. I lost her to cancer 6 years ago. So it is very bittersweet day for me. Just remember you are amazing and your daughter is very lucky to have you.

I'm so sorry to hear that. You must have a tough time too.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I hate to hear this ... I am so in awe of you as a mom. You face challenges that most of us will never truly understand. In my eyes you are the most amazing mom on the planet and I think you deserve a special day just for you!!!!

Thank you so much, Jan, but I fear you overcredit me! :)
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Your message is so touching. I am sure you doing a great job at being a mom and anything your little sweetheart makes for you will bring you tons of joy. :)

Mothers day is also sad for me because although I am married and have kids...I am usually not acknowledged. I mean, my kids will give me their school made cards which are the BEST gifts ever but my hubby...nah, never. He says I'm not his mom...period. I remember that when we were young our dad did a GREAT job at teaching us to honor my mom. Dad would take us to the store and he would let one of us choose a card, another some flowers and another one of us got to choose a dessert (cake/cupcakes/ice cream). He would then stop by the store and get my mom a special gift on his behalf and we sould go home and celebrate.

I'm not asking for gifts from my hubby but a simple "happy mothers day" or "thanks for all you do" would be nice...you know?

Big hug for you! :flowerforyou: And this Mother's day just remember that you ARE a great mother for the simple fact that you are around for little Ava and although she is very little now the day will come when she will recognize all your hard work and boundless love for her. :wink:
  • kimberlyanneturner
    Options
    I wish you the very best Mothers day a mother can have , you deserve the very best!!! Try not to let this wonderful day get you down. Try to make some special plans and remember the wonderful little blessing in your life!
    God bless you, sweet lady :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Vkoons3
    Vkoons3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you are going through. I do still have my mom and she is great but I will not be able to see my kids on mothers day as they too will be with their father. He has never made any acknowledgement to me on this day because he says I am not his mother. I try to get the kids but he goes to his mothers house to celebrate with her and doesnt think it is important that I get to see the kids on my day. If you need any help on this day for support cause if you are like me I know I will because I tend to eat when I am upset or depressed and I already feel it coming on feel free to add me as a friend!
  • tristalin
    tristalin Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was just listening to the radio this morning & there was a survey saying that 40% of moms feel they will not have any sort of acknowledgement or break for mother's day. It is not just you! I'm sure it will be a very normal day for me.
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I can so relate. I have a wonderful Mother, but I too and divorced and share my son with my ex weekly. This is his weekend, so they may not let me have him until 6pm on Sunday. I did not have him last year. My ex has never done anything to honor me as a mother, as he is was to selfish to think of anyone but himself. It is sad :sad:

Hopefully you can find a way to try and get some satisfaction out of the day. I will be thinking of you.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one hoping that you tore your current love a new one for last year and that he shapes up this year?
    Have the happiest of Mother's Days, from what I can tell, you're an amazing mom.

Maybe you should do something for yourself for the latter half of the day, if it's all to yourself. Like a massage?