strange question

Options
just curious, instead of focusing more on calorie intake, shouldnt you focus more on how many "fat grams" you're consuming? after all, isnt it all the fat that makes you"fat" in the first place?

Replies

• janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Um no.... you can get fat eating fat-free things if you are eating too many calories. Our bodies need some fat to function.
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    Not necessarily. You can still eat super healthy food and gain weight if you're not watching your portions.
  • Tvstarbabe
    Tvstarbabe Posts: 101
    Options
    Our bodies do need some fat, so its just what the fat calories are coming from! If the grams of fat are from twinkies, obviously thats not good. But if the fat grams are from nuts, that can actually help your body
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    OMG girl, I reduced fat in my diet so I wasnt getting any more then about 15-20 grams of it a day. My whole digestive system slowed down and I was so horribly constipated, it was horrible. This was just a month ago...So I increased my fats and I am find now. Dont limit your fats too much, its the calories themselves that are evil....
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Fat is not evil. Fat gets a bad rap because it is calorie dense. Eating too many calories makes you fat.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Fat grams affect calories (since there are calories in everything from sugars to protein to fat), but calories overall is what measure energy. If you put more energy into your body than you burn you gain weight. If you put in less energy than you burn you lose weight. Ideally you want to have a balance once you are content with your reflection in the mirror. If you don't balance what you eat (proteins, carbs, sugars and fats) then that leads to other health problems. You need all of the above for all your organs to function properly.
  • JBRENTLINGER
    JBRENTLINGER Posts: 160
    Options
    Fats that are trans fats or saturated fats are not good for you. Unsaturated fat is required to keep a balanced digestive system . Fats in legumes, nuts, and fish are VERY good for you.
  • mawhite717
    mawhite717 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    FYI...i know you have to have fat... im not saying you dont.
  • lauralwilson
    lauralwilson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    its calories not fat that makes you gain weight - the problem with fat is that it is high in calories which means you can't eat very much to stay within your calorie goal - lower fat foods allow you to eat much more and still stay within your goal which leaves you more full and more likely to stay within your goal
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend that you read You On a Diet by Dr. Oz. As stated before, all fat is not created equal. Also, fat by itself does not necessarily make you fat.
  • jmafte
    jmafte Posts: 46
    Options
    Also, certain foods like avocados, are extremely good for you but are fatty. There's a difference in types of fats too. On top of that, you can lose weight eating foods that are extremely fatty as long as you've created a calorie deficiency. That's obviously a bad idea, but it can be done. Fat is also needed so your body can absorb the fat soluble vitamins A, S, E, K, and prevent deficiencies of these vitamins.
  • 87beckyRN
    87beckyRN Posts: 34
    Options
    About 30% of your calories should come from fat. Not enough fat is bad for your body.
  • jmafte
    jmafte Posts: 46
    Options
    Also, saturated fats aren't as bad as most people think. there are a lot good reasons to consume the right amount of saturated fats.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'd focus on overall calories first.
    Once you're good at watching that, then you can start controlling your macros.
    I've had a few days where I've had every macro (carbs/protein/fat) within a few grams of my set ratios.
    It can be done daily if you're really specific with what you eat, I just don't watch my diet that closely.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Here is an article re: Fats - Hope it helps.

http://www.annlouise.com/blog/2011/05/03/skinny-fats-your-new-bff/