hydrostatic water fat testing

Options
so i haven't had my body fat % measured in a year, and since i just joined this, thought it would be good to obtain a very accurate reading. i believe this is the best way to go about it. i'm a member at 24 hour fitness and use the downtown seattle facility a lot. they're offering testing on sept 9th so i'm gonna sign up. any other seattlites here? but overall, has anyone tried it?

Replies

• vickster82
    vickster82 Posts: 108
    Options
    so i haven't had my body fat % measured in a year, and since i just joined this, thought it would be good to obtain a very accurate reading. i believe this is the best way to go about it. i'm a member at 24 hour fitness and use the downtown seattle facility a lot. they're offering testing on sept 9th so i'm gonna sign up. any other seattlites here? but overall, has anyone tried it?
  • racoon1
    racoon1 Posts: 78
    Options
    not from seattle. But I have tried it. used to get body fat measured at curves every 2 weeks at curves. It's a hand held device that you just hold out in front for couple minutes. very accurate.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Every measurement device has its flaws...girth measurements have huge margins for error, skinfolds depend on the skill of the measurer, bioimpedance (stuff you step/hold onto) varies depending on your hydration levels, and hydrostatic weighing is only as accurate as you can make it by letting all your air out and holding your breath under water for several seconds. Generally though, it's the most accurate measurement you can get if everything is done correctly.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    The university here does a DEXA scan that is supposed to be as accurate as the water displacement, but you don't have to get wet. I did it and my numbers were a lot higher than with the other methods (all but water displacement were also done by the head of the department).
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Course you could always go with DXA. But I hear that's expensive, it's suppose to be accurate up to 1% though regardless of preparation. Never had it done though, so I can't say for sure. It's done via x-rays.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    hahaha banks!! you got your "O" thats so funny!!
  • tpdance
    tpdance Posts: 21
    Options
    True, out of ones mentioned this is the most accurate. Be sure to blow out all air and hold it. And it's free?! def don't turn down.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Sooooo--you have to first get INTO the water, then HOLD your breath and go UNDER the water????

Don't think so! :noway: :noway:

If it's deeper than the kiddie end, I ain't going IN much less UNDER!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Sooooo--you have to first get INTO the water, then HOLD your breath and go UNDER the water????

Don't think so! :noway: :noway:

If it's deeper than the kiddie end, I ain't going IN much less UNDER!

Well you let all your breath out, then you hold it...but you're not really holding anything :laugh: That's the biggest flaw, and if you don't let your air out it'll come up with a high reading.
  • vickster82
    vickster82 Posts: 108
    Options
    thanks all for replying. i don't mind getting wet and don't have any fears associated with water. i think its' worth the effort!