Running Shoes for Beginner

Options
I am desperate need of new running shoes. I am a newbie at running. I only go for about 20 min (5 min warm up, cool down & 10 min of actual running) and I only go about 4 mph. But it's a start. What shoes would you recommend?

Replies

• TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I am desperate need of new running shoes. I am a newbie at running. I only go for about 20 min (5 min warm up, cool down & 10 min of actual running) and I only go about 4 mph. But it's a start. What shoes would you recommend?

Everybody's feet and stride is different. I HIGHLY recommend going to a good running store and being properly fitted. To just go on OUR recommendations could end up leaving YOU injured.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Suggestions are going to be all across the board. What works for some may not work for you. I'm going to suggest that you go to a running store, not a mall store like Foot Locker, and get fitted. The running store should watch you run/walk/check your gait/ and maybe put you on a treadmill to see what type of runner you are.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I just started running but I do various different exercises and needed a shoe that would accommodate. I love the Nike Free Tr Fit. So lightweight.
  • KiraLech
    KiraLech Posts: 21
    Options
    It's important to trust the experts. Go to a local running store...don't be tempted to go to Kohls or something like that where you can get a good deal. The running store will evaluate the way you run, and get you into a good shoe. Even as a beginning runner, the last thing you want to skip on is a good pair of shoes. If you make the investment, they'll give you hundreds of safe happy miles.
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just went to a running store and was fitted for shoes. They will look at where you are putting pressure on your feet when you walk/run and what your knees are doing. You will pay a lot of money, but I can already tell the difference, in my feet, toes, and knees.
  • lelee17
    lelee17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Everybody's feet and stride is different. I HIGHLY recommend going to a good running store and being properly fitted. To just go on OUR recommendations could end up leaving YOU injured.

I couldn't agree more! I got mine at Road Runner Sports. Start off the right way with good shoes and you'll be running more than 20 minutes in no time!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The initial investment at the running store will more than pay for itself in a less injury prone you. Then, once you know the right shoe for you, you can continue to buy the same brand and model at the cheaper stores when you need new ones, which will be more often than you'd thinks.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    If you are going to go all captain hardcore and run 24/7 then yeah getting the fit at a custom store is the way to go.

I do a lot more than just run and also know "fit wise" what my feet require.

I alternate between Reezigs and my K swiss tubes. Both work good but the tubes seem a little better for all out running compared to cross training etc...
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    GET FITTED! It's that simple. Everyone walks and runs differently and if not, we'd all be blazing around the track like Usain Bolt and the Olympics would be a moot point.

Getting the wrong shoes could lead to injuries (shin splints, patellar tendinitis, Achilles tendinitis, Illiotibail Band syndrome, Plantar Fascitis etc etc etc). End result, you get hurt, you quit running and that is that.

A professional running shop will look at your existing shoes to see where they are worn, look at how you run and determine the best type of shoe for you.

You may spend a few extra bucks on shoes, but you'll save yourself a great deal of pain and discomfort.
  • mkiesel33
    mkiesel33 Posts: 16
    Options
    I agree that you should go to the store and try them out I have fat feet so after trying on many brands and types I like Avia but also when you go the salesperson can recommend different shoelaceings for a even better fit I just went to Famous Footware. I want to congradulate you on running, 10 minutes may not sound like alot but once you get going you'll be saying I only started with 10 minutes and now I can run ____ Minutes. I started my running with my son who would literally run behind me and every once in while would push me to keep going by putting his hand in the middle of my back and now I run without him and don't give up so easily. I don't think I can even run for 10 mins continuesly but I do run in bouts that are getting longer and longer and when I want to give up I just imagine his hand in the middle of my back pushing forward. So you go girl and find you some running shoes to rock!!!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I bought some (what I thought were) awesome kswiss shoes at Shoe Carnival. The most comfortable athletic shoe I had ever had. Then I started this Couch to 5K class. My shins and calves burned so much. I thought, OK, i know I'm out of shape, but DANG. I finally gave in on week 3 and went to Fleet Feet, a local running store. They did the whole treadmill evaluation, asked questions, tried several pair of shoes on me. Long story short, I spent over $100 on shoes, but that night in class it was a remarkable difference! No shin splints, no burning in the calves (well, near the end, but that was cause I was pushing harder). So as much as I didnt' want to spend the money, it was well worth it.
  • GinoATC
    GinoATC Posts: 60
    Options
    Run Barefoot.