Chickpeas!

Options
EmilyAnn89
EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
tell me your favorite chickpea recipes! i want to start incorporating more beans/legumes into my diet rather than meat. i'm not a big meat eater, but i've never been into beans very much. any favorite recipes using beans instead of meat?? thanks in advance!

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I got this from someone on MFP....I don't know the calorie count....but depending on what seasoning you use, you can calculate it....

1 can rinsed garbanzo beans

put in plastic bag

add in olive oil (1tbs)
    add in as much chili powder as you like
    shake, shake, shake

bake them at 350 degrees for as long as it takes your oven to make them crunchy. i like mine well done, but you might not. they definitley need to be dried out tho.

and voila!
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Chickpea, tomato and corn curry! I've made this a few times and it's lovely! It's been popular with my meat eating husband and children too!

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=16849.0
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could do a nice chilli with rice... I'm not a fan of beans though.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    NutritionMD.org There are more than 1,000 vegan recipes on this site. You can search the recipe database based on what you have in your pantry or refrigerator. Just type in the ingredient item, such as “kidney beans” or “spinach,” and compile a grocery list based on the recipes you like. Besides recipes, you can learn more about various disease states and their appropriate nutritional considerations.
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I got this from someone on MFP....I don't know the calorie count....but depending on what seasoning you use, you can calculate it....

1 can rinsed garbanzo beans

put in plastic bag

add in olive oil (1tbs)
    add in as much chili powder as you like
    shake, shake, shake

bake them at 350 degrees for as long as it takes your oven to make them crunchy. i like mine well done, but you might not. they definitley need to be dried out tho.

and voila!

I just made something similar to that for dinner tonight - but used lime juice, soy sauce and taco seasoning (mixed in a bowl, not a bag), roasted in oven then they went in taco shells. Nice!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Hummus.

The recipe is simple, chickpeas, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice and salt.

ratios may vary.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Aubergine Hummus
    This is an awesome combination of Baba Ganoush and Regular Hummus. It is fantastic as a dip, or spread on some brown bread or a wholemeal pitta with spinach and sundried tomatoes.

Aubergine Hummus
    Serves: 8

1 aubergine
    1 garlic clove
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    2g cumin
    200g chickpeas, dried
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 chicken/veggie stock cube

Soak the chickpeas in water overnight
    Then cook them in the same water with the stock cube added in for 20 mins.
    Roast the aubergine until the skin is blackened. When it is cooled you can just peel off the skin and the flesh will be mostly mashable.
    Mash the aubergine with the crushed garlic, salt, cumin, lemon juice and olive oil.
    Drain the chick peas but reserve the water.
    Add the chickpeas to the aubergine mixture with a little of the reserved water and blitz with a hand blender. Add a little more water if it is too thick, but not too much.

It makes 8 large (100g) portions, but you could stretch it out further.

123 calories per serving, 3.4g F, 0.4g SF, 19.1 C, 4.1g S, 6.4g Fb, 5.6g P

Chickpea and Spinach Curry
    Serves: 3
    240g chick peas, canned, drained weight (basically one tin)
    400g tomatoes, canned
    100g spinach
    8 mushrooms
    1 onion
    2g yellow mustard seeds
    5g paprika
    5g cumin
    2g ginger
    2g garam masala
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1g pepper
    1 small red pepper
    1 small green pepper
    2 small yellow pepper

Heat the oil in the bottom of a large pan.
    Add the mustard seeds on low temperature
    When the mustard seeds start to pop add in the sliced onions garlic and ginger with a little water.
    When the onions soften add in the mushrooms and peppers.
    Add in the spices and herbs and cover for 5 mins until all the veg is soft.
    Add in the chickpeas and cover for 5 more mins.
    Add in the chopped tomatoes and stir well.
    After 5 or so mins add the spinach (about 6/7 lumps frozen).
    Mix the spinach in so its covered by the sauce.
    Cover it up but keep stirring every few mins.
    It can be served as soon as the spinach is cooked (i.e. not frozen in big lumps, but flavour intensifies the longer you simmer it for.
    It may need simmering without the lid to reduce the wateriness of the sauce.

http://heavling.blogspot.com

240 calories per serving, 7.4g F, 0.9g SF, 38.2 C, 8g S, 9.5 Fb, 9.8g P
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Ha!

Nice shirt OP.

The backwards 'R' threw me off. LOL!
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just made Rachel Ray's Chickpea salad... added some splenda to her recipe for some sweetness and some dried cranberries, carrots and sunflower seeds. It was divine!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/chickpea-salad-recipe/index.html

I think you could even get away with less olive oil if you wanted.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Hummus

You can find lots of recipes. I just throw stuff in mine.

a can of drained chick peas, I reserve the liquid because I usually need some to make it thinner. you could use olive oil if you wish.
    garlic
    lemon juice
    cumin
    tahini (when I don't have tahini, I use crushed (food processed) sesame seeds)
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Made falafel burgers tonight - delicious, quick and low in cals. The recipe says serves 4, but I shared it with my daughter, added salad and it still came to just 322 cals!
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5605/falafel-burgers
    Lindsay
  • EmilyAnn89
    Options
    Ha!

Nice shirt OP.

The backwards 'R' threw me off. LOL!

lol thanks :)
  • EmilyAnn89
    Options
    NutritionMD.org There are more than 1,000 vegan recipes on this site. You can search the recipe database based on what you have in your pantry or refrigerator. Just type in the ingredient item, such as “kidney beans” or “spinach,” and compile a grocery list based on the recipes you like. Besides recipes, you can learn more about various disease states and their appropriate nutritional considerations.

i will have to check that site out, thank you!
  • EmilyAnn89
    Options
    Chickpea, tomato and corn curry! I've made this a few times and it's lovely! It's been popular with my meat eating husband and children too!

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=16849.0

that sounds SOO good!!
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    I saute finely chopped onion and garlic in a little olive oil, then I add some ground cumin (about a tsp) and about two-to-four servings of couscous. I toast the couscous slightly. Next, I rinse and drain a can of low-sodium garbanzo beans and toss that into the pot with the couscous along with boiling reduced-sodium chicken stock (the same amount as called for water in the couscous directions), cover and turn off the flame, and let it sit for 5 minutes or until the couscous has soaked up all the liquid. Serve with some salad and you have a delicious (and cheap!) dinner in under 10 minutes.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I just made Rachel Ray's Chickpea salad... added some splenda to her recipe for some sweetness and some dried cranberries, carrots and sunflower seeds. It was divine!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/chickpea-salad-recipe/index.html

I think you could even get away with less olive oil if you wanted.

Ooooh, thank you!
  • EmilyAnn89
    Options
    thanks everyone for all the great ideas! everything so far is sounds really good :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    tell me your favorite chickpea recipes! i want to start incorporating more beans/legumes into my diet rather than meat. i'm not a big meat eater, but i've never been into beans very much. any favorite recipes using beans instead of meat?? thanks in advance!

I use chick peas on salads, in pasta, in curries, in soups, all instead of meat. My favorite is a roasted chickpea and vegetable couscous, I beleive it is from the eat clean diet but it might be my detox cookbook as well.