Abnormal Pap Smear and I'm Scared

Options
2»

Replies

• ttfit2
    ttfit2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing done as Ladybug1620. Everyone is right. It is more common than you realize.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it can be as simple as where you are in you cycle! Relax go back in have another one and then stick with them! Probably nothing good thoughts for you
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I had one a few years back and I had to have some pre-cancerous cells removed and I have not had another one since then. I am not trying to scare you because I was super scared when it happened to me, but when I started telling people about it I was told by a lot of other girls that they had to have the same thing done and it was actually pretty common. I had the LEEP procedure and a colposcopy (<----SPELLING) done.

had the exact same thing done , girl not to worry this is more common than you think ! RELAX you will be fine :)
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Fairly often.
    Yep. Don't panic yet. I had an abnormal pap about 10 years ago as well. They will probably do a colposcopy on you, which is similar to a pap but they take a bigger sample to test your cells. Mine came back positive on the colposcopy, and I had a procedure to freeze the abnormal cells. Everything's been perfect since.

Yeah^^this^^ I was looking for colposcopy.
  • JPRobocker
    JPRobocker Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I had an abnormal one 3 years ago and they did the indepth one (I won't even try to spell it). I had a strand of HPV. They told me to get a pap smear every 6 months untill it cleared up. I got my first clean one last year. It's really common and I was embarassed when I first found out because it is an STD and they do carry stigmas. Luckly it went away and didn't cause anything more serious (it's a virus like a cold, only it lasts longer). Just thought I'd give you this information so you know that even if they do find something, normally it isn't the end of the world. And if t is something more serious, you should just be happy that you are getting it checked out so the proper actions can be taken sooner. Good luck to you. I'm sure everything will be ok.
  • BlueEyesAllDay
    Options
    I had an abnormal Pap last year. My doctor had me come back for a colposcopy which is a magnified view of the cervix (where they take the sample for Pap smears). If he had seen anything concerning, he would have taken a biopsy (sample) then, but in my case, he said that it was fine and to come back in a year.

I was scared as well. If you are the type of person who does better once you know more about what's going on, this site might be helpful.

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/cevicalconditions/a/colposcopy.htm

You can learn more about LEEPs at that site in addition to colposcopies and possible reasons for abnormal Pap smears.

Good luck!!!
  • afraidone
    afraidone Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for your responses ladies. I will definitely check out the women's health article.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I had that a lot awhile back, I was a smoker then, I am not sure if it was related. But I had a colpopscopy and a LEEP procedure, in 1997, and would have irregular paps here and there, but have been good for a few years.
    I know I was so scared when I got the first notice but now I realize all of my friends have dealt with this.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i use to get them when i would forget and have sex the night before, LOL!

I didnt know that you arent supposed to have sex the night before!!! LOL...really? did anyone else know this???