Yoga for Weight Loss!

Options
I just bought a yoga for weight loss dvd and a new yoga mat. So far, I'm really enjoying it. It has a 25-minute program that's quite stimulating and enjoyable, meant to be done as a start to your day in the morning. I love yoga and I hate that it doesn't burn very many calories, but along comes a weight loss dvd and I'm in love!

Just had to gush a little bit.

I can't believe I burned over 1000 calories today! Between walking, step-aerobics on WiiFit and the yoga program. Go me! It feels really good to be active. ^_^

Cheers, everyone! Here's hoping for a great day tomorrow!

Replies

• faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    I just bought a yoga for weight loss dvd and a new yoga mat. So far, I'm really enjoying it. It has a 25-minute program that's quite stimulating and enjoyable, meant to be done as a start to your day in the morning. I love yoga and I hate that it doesn't burn very many calories, but along comes a weight loss dvd and I'm in love!

Just had to gush a little bit.

I can't believe I burned over 1000 calories today! Between walking, step-aerobics on WiiFit and the yoga program. Go me! It feels really good to be active. ^_^

Cheers, everyone! Here's hoping for a great day tomorrow!
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    yoga weightloss for dummies, I LOVE MINE! :love: I also :heart: Yoga, Booty, Ballet. its a combination of all three, lots of fun. :bigsmile:
  • AlisonMCross
    AlisonMCross Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about taking up Yoga or Pilates...
    How often do you do the dvd's each week?
    How long are they?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Not to burst the bubble, but even the weight loss one doesn't burn that many. It's still good for you though! So don't stop doing it. I love that DVD with Suzanne Deason - all the modifications are great for beginners. Yoga will help your body look slimmer though. Your posture will improve and your body will tone.

This video is 45 minutes. I have some Rodney Yee ones that vary from 20 minutes to an hour. I mostly go to classes about 2-3 times a week.
  • faythe
    Options
    Oh, yeah, I know that it doesn't burn as many calories as jogging or even a nice, brisk walk, but it's good to see that it focuses on helping get you started on a weight-loss journey.

I usually do yoga at least 2 or 3 times a week, although until I found this DVD I was doing Wii Fit yoga.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Yoga is definitely not a cardiovascular exercise, it's isometric, so it will elevate the heart rate, but usually not by more then 15% or so from resting. BUT, that doesn't mean it's not GREAT for you. Yoga makes everything else easier, it gives you more flexibility, which makes your muscles more resilient, increases tone in the muscles which increases density, which in turn raises the metabolism (a little granted). So if you incorporate yoga into an existing cardiovascular routine, you are going to make yourself even better!
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Yoga is definitely not a cardiovascular exercise, it's isometric, so it will elevate the heart rate, but usually not by more then 15% or so from resting. BUT, that doesn't mean it's not GREAT for you. Yoga makes everything else easier, it gives you more flexibility, which makes your muscles more resilient, increases tone in the muscles which increases density, which in turn raises the metabolism (a little granted). So if you incorporate yoga into an existing cardiovascular routine, you are going to make yourself even better!

I don't know what kind of yoga you're doing but it's not THAT low (15% higher than resting) - mine is usually around 60% of max.
  • faythe
    Options
    I don't have a HRM but I know that my blood was definitely pumping pretty hard when I finished that DVD last night. The exercise diary on MFP estimates yoga at 120 calories/25 minutes. That seems like a pretty good burn rate to me!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to wear my new HRM to my yoga class this coming week.

I started doing yoga 1.5 years ago at the very beginning of my weight loss journey. I found it was low impact and slow paced enough that I could start there. It did wonders to tone my muscles, to give me muscular endurance, to add to my flexibility.

Yoga was a GREAT beginning and I keep it in my routine now to help rest, relax and stretch my worn out body. I've since added in cardio and weight training in my weight loss. If I had time, I'd do yoga daily in addition to my cardio, but I'm always pinched for time.

Keep up the good work Faythe!!!!
  • banks1850
    Options

I don't know what kind of yoga you're doing but it's not THAT low (15% higher than resting) - mine is usually around 60% of max.

LOL 60% of max sounds about right. Maybe higher then I get, but that's about 20% higher then resting (which is generally around 40% max)
    It really depends on how you are doing it and how good your cardiopulminary system is. Mine is in pretty good shape as I have been running hard for the last year, so my Blood Ox levels are pretty high (efficient)
  • banks1850
    Options
    I don't have a HRM but I know that my blood was definitely pumping pretty hard when I finished that DVD last night. The exercise diary on MFP estimates yoga at 120 calories/25 minutes. That seems like a pretty good burn rate to me!

Well, that's not bad if you're looking for non-cardio. But for instance, at 80% max heart rate for 1 hour I burn about 840 calories running, which would be about 400 or so for 25 minutes. Where as my yoga 1/2 hour is about 95 calories for me. For me at least, yoga's about stretching my muscles and engaging my core because balance is more important then we think in every day life and a strong core is vital to good balance. I LOVE yoga, but I don't consider it my cardio, I consider it complimentry and great for keeping my body in good shape, but not cardiovascularly (is that a word?).
  • yoginimary
    Options

LOL 60% of max sounds about right. Maybe higher then I get, but that's about 20% higher then resting (which is generally around 40% max)
    It really depends on how you are doing it and how good your cardiopulminary system is. Mine is in pretty good shape as I have been running hard for the last year, so my Blood Ox levels are pretty high (efficient)

Ok, maybe my math is bad. Or my brain is. I was thinking: for RHR say 65 BPM, 15% more is 75 BPM - I understand what you were saying now.
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hey - how do you like that Wii fit thing? I've been waffling - just not sure. ???
  • faythe
    Options
    Hey - how do you like that Wii fit thing? I've been waffling - just not sure. ???

Wii Fit is a worthwhile investment all the way. Fast, easy, and if nothing else is a good way to track your weight. Also keeps track of the exercises you do.