Has anyone island hopped in Greece?

Options
prepsikola
prepsikola Posts: 17 Member
Im going in twenty days and have no idea where to start! If anyone has any advice that would be wounderfull, thank you! :)

Replies

• ski3r4life
    ski3r4life Posts: 206
    Options
    I just got back from Plakias on the Crete island! WOW it is so gorgeous there! I recommend Youth Hostel Plakias if you go! Also, a good website for buying ferry tickets is goferry.fr I used Anek lines and paid €28 and €36 for a 9 hour fairy ride from Athens to Crete.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    When are you going? Where are you flying into (Athens, I'm guessing?) I'm going on a cruise to Greece in July (so we'll only hit the big islands, I'll miss the small ones) - I could fill you in on those though if we go before you do. We were going to island hop but since I didn't have the vacation time we were going for only 10 days it didn't make sense financially or time wise.

I just bought Rick Steves Greek Isle book - it is great and I'd recommend it. Gives some off the beaten path suggestions and some possible trip itineraries.

I'm so jealous! You are getting my vacation - have some fun for me!
  • prepsikola
    Options
    Thank you for the help!
    Nine hour ferry? WOW
    I was going to try to do borth Greece and Italy, now Im starting to think I should just stay in Greece and enjoy the islands!
    I deffinatly want to go to Crete, it looks awesome there! Im glad you had a good time!
    Do all of the ferrys leave from Athens?
    Or get you get Ferrys from one island to the other!?
  • prepsikola
    Options
    I am going May 22-June 20th! Im so excited :) And yes, Im flying into Athens! Im going to do all the sight seeing around Athens then hit up some islands. Ill deffinatly check out that book! I guess Im going before you, so Ill let you know what its like! A cruise will still be awesome! And that way you dont have to get stressed like me on booking ferrys and stuff! I hope you have a great time :)
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    The ferries leave from one island to another - you'll want to do an island "group" and have somewhat of a plan of your "must sees." From everything I've read one of the joys of island hopping is staying and soaking up the island and then leaving whenever you feel like it - each island has it's on flavor.

From what I've read, you really don't need to worry about booking ferries - and if you want to really maximize your time, you can take a relatively cheap flight from the major islands to Athens and then onto Rome -- I think it was like 100 euro one way --- if you really wanted to see Rome (I did, but I'm "settling" for Venice due to time constraints and that is where the ship leaves from).

Here is a link I had bookmarked, I can't remember if it is any good since the island hopping plan was axed a month ago http://www.fodors.com/news/story_2980.html

I'm sure you could find a ton more. Whatever you do - have fun and go with the flow!!