Triathlon Friends

Options
I'm looking for Triathletes to be my friends... Any kind really! I'm an aspiring triathlete so I'm looking for those with experience and those that are really just getting started. We should form a group :)

We can share Ideas, training tips, diet struggles, and stories about people throwing things at you will your out on the road.

Friend me!!

Replies

• trio25
    trio25 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Not a triathlete but a cyclist, although I've just started running. Good luck with your challenge though.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    You know where I am. :happy:
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Bump. I like this thread
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Ray & Dinos You're my buddies already! Thanks guys!
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    There has to be more Triathletes or aspiring Triathletes out there! c'mon guys
  • dinos
    Options
    I've seen a few triathletes in mfp already, I guess they will show up sooner or later. One thing we can do is to post here occasionally to keep the thread alive
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    Anyone got one coming up? Im cycling for a team on May 14th. 18 miles.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    Bump for more friends
  • dinos
    Options

You've got the bike :happy:
    There was this sprint tri next September at Marathon bay (www.schiniathlon.gr) that I'd like to do, but they cancelled the fall event. There should be some other event in the area, in the meanwhile I need to shave off at least 5 minutes from my 5k time (it's 31 mins :sad: ) before I join any races.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

You've got the bike :happy:
    There was this sprint tri next September at Marathon bay (www.schiniathlon.gr) that I'd like to do, but they cancelled the fall event. There should be some other event in the area, in the meanwhile I need to shave off at least 5 minutes from my 5k time (it's 31 mins :sad: ) before I join any races.

you can definitely do that you do realize you will shave a few minutes off your time just due to the competition.
  • Lambert9
    Options
    Hey Guy's I realize your posts were awhile ago, But I am here now! Looking for advice on food intake With training and trying to lose! Any advice for me?????? Just had a baby 6 months ago and started training but got sick a few times and haven't been able to train as hard as I wanted the past 2 weeks. Tri is in 1 week and a couple days. I just need to finish at this point. Did one 2 years ago before I got prego and rocked it!

I've only done 1 so any advise would be appreciated!
    Thanks, Lisa
  • Mandyw58
    Mandyw58 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm considering training for a sprint triathlon in the spring. I'm not a strong runner or biker, although I've been doing both off an on for awhile, and think that with training I'd be fine. It is the swimming I'm really worried about because I'm not a strong swimmer, but I'm thinking of taking some swimming lessons in September to help with that. I'm also concerned about the time required for training since there are some things I just won't give up (like my rock climbing sessions). I've done some reading about sprint triathlon training, but any additional advice would be much appreciated (and also maybe just a kick in the butt to get me going on training :wink:)
  • jogdog
    jogdog Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just joined on mfp last week, and today I looked up triathlon on message boards and came across this one. I am currently trying to get back in shape and one of my goals is to participate in a women's only sprint triathlon next may and july. I did do some 5Ks randomly in the spring and beginning of summer and then moved to some 2 mile free for all races. I am currently working on getting a good mix of biking and running. Right now I do them each about 3 times a week getting in short, medium, and long workouts. I would swim more, but the gyms around here that have pools are super expensive and there are no public pools to use. Have been using my aunt's little pool to get something in, but I know I will need to find something better. Good thing is that the sprint tri's I'm doing have a 350m swim, 12 mi bike, 2 mi run. Have my sister and a friend that want to do it also. Depending on how those go depends on if I will do some other similar races. We have a lot of local races all the time including duathlons, aquathons, 5K, 10K, half and full marathons, full and half IM, etc. Just need to do some smaller ones, lose weight, get in shape, and get some confidence up to try some other stuff.

How is everybody doing so far? Training? Races?
  • Mandyw58
    Options
    Jogdog - Maybe we can message each other with updates on how our training's going to keep each other motivated as the sprint triathlon I'm thinking of signing up for is in April or May. Right now I've been doing a little biking, but am holding off on running as I'm still recovering from a previous running injury. Add me as a friend if you're interested.
  • dinos
    Options
    I'm considering training for a sprint triathlon in the spring. I'm not a strong runner or biker, although I've been doing both off an on for awhile, and think that with training I'd be fine. It is the swimming I'm really worried about because I'm not a strong swimmer, but I'm thinking of taking some swimming lessons in September to help with that. I'm also concerned about the time required for training since there are some things I just won't give up (like my rock climbing sessions). I've done some reading about sprint triathlon training, but any additional advice would be much appreciated (and also maybe just a kick in the butt to get me going on training :wink:)

Try this site http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms.asp
  • Mandyw58
    Options
    Dinos - thanks for the link. The biking and running portion look completely do-able for the 10-week beginner's program, but I'm a little worried about the swimming portion. I guess the best thing I can do is just get out and start swimming laps, even if I need longer rest periods than they suggest.
  • dinos
    Options
    Mandy, I agree, you have to start swimming laps in the pool. Even better if you could swim in open water sometimes. Swimming is very technical and you only get better with practice. You need to isolate your weaknesses and focus on them.

For example I had an inherent fear that i would gulp water with my next breath and would be gasping for air, so I was subconsciously delaying my stroke. I still have this mental issue, but with focused practice my stroke cadence is improving
  • Mandyw58
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. It's nice to know you have a similar problem to me, but are managing to overcome it. My biggest problem with swimming is that I'm worried that I'll snort some water up my nose or not clear the water with my mouth and inhale some during breaths. It's not a completely unfounded fear, because both of those things have happened to me recently. I think that causes me to stroke and kick harder than I need to, tiring me out unnecessarily. I'm going to work on slowing down my stroke, being more calm in the water, and rolling my body better. I'm definitely going to sign up for some lessons soon though so I can have someone give me tips on how to improve.

As for swimming outdoors, the two sprints I'm looking at both have indoor swims. I picked them because I know that I would probably panic in an open water swim when I got too far from the shore.
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    Just found this thread - how was everyone's race season? Up here in Minnesota it is wrapping up!