Can women whom have implants breastfeed?

Options
LiL_MisS_C
LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
I am neither fake chested or pregnant! lol. I was just curious because last night on 'United States of Tara' one of the characters had implants and just became a mother whom wanted to breast feed her new baby..can you and should you breast feed with implants. I would think it's not such a great idea.

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I dont have any, but I know the answer. You can/should have no problems breastfeeding if they were inserted underneath the muscle, through an incision in the armpit. You may have issues with breastfeeding if they were inserted through the nipple, or with the traditional "anchor" shaped incision. This is because the ducts may be damaged in that process. But if the ducts aren't severed, you should be able to. No harm to mom or baby.

Both of my siblings successfully breastfed, and my mom bought hers....
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    Yep. What she said. ;)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. Unless of course it's implants following double mastectomy from breast cancer. For regular implants they don't take anything out.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    It depends. My sister had children after implants and has been able to successfully breastfeed all 3 of her children between 6-12 months of age.

The surgeon did caution her that the surgery MAY damage the ducts. If you are interested in having implant surgery and want children afterwards, talk to your surgeon. Most will recommend implants after children. But as others mentioned, there are different types of implants and different ways to insert them.