Starvation mode?!

Options
I am 5'4" and used to weigh 137lbs. I am not sure how many calories I was eating before but I know it was quite a bit. 3 weeks ago I decided to restrict my calorie intake to around 700-900cals a day and work out for about 40 minutes a day (mostly cardio) and I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks but for the last week and a half I haven't lost any more weight. I have read some conflicting things on starvation mode but I fear maybe I have entered it. I did some reading on how many calories I should be eating and it was around 1200-1500 cals. Yesterday I decided to up my calories and stay on a zig-zag calorie intake. Meaning some days I eat 1200 others 1500 and some 1000 to trick my body so it constantly loses weight. Do you think I will gain weight at first? How long will it take to start losing again. I am trying to weigh 118lbs by jun 15th. Is that going to be possible?

Replies

• Nataliethin81
    Nataliethin81 Posts: 315
    Options
    Never eat less then 1200 net calories a day. You're definitely in starvation mode, not only will you be losing weight like crazy, you will gain it all back even faster. Not to mention you will be losing your lean muscle mass. What you're doing right now is extremely unhealthy. Regarding the zig zagging, yes you may gain weight at first but wouldn't you rather lose the weight the healthy way and not gain it all back? Stick with at least 1200 a day.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    1200 is probably the minimum you should eat, but don't fret about starvation mode. What's probably happened is your body (which is very smart) has made adjustments to your new regime and is striving to cope with it as efficiently as possible - mix up your exercise like you are zig-zaging your calories. Try different workouts and keep your body guessing. Chill a bit, you are doing great!

Best regards,

David
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    I would never eat less than 1200 calories. If you do, you can actually gain weight...
  • Wolterjf
    Wolterjf Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't know if that much weight loss is possible or healthy in the next 6 weeks that you have to lose it. BUT, what you can try is cutting out all dairy products and restrict your meat intake to about 2 days per week. Switch what you would normally eat as dairy to soy, rice or almond. Cutting the dairy and meat will dramatically reduce fat and saturated fat. Skip the booze too!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Need more info.

I don't think you entered starvation mode in 2 weeks. I don't think that means that eating between 700-900 calories is a good thing.
    You said you used to weigh 137, but didn't say how much you weigh now. The more weight you have to lose the more of a deficit your body can handle. If you are 50lbs overweight you body can handle a larger deficit than if you are 20lbs overweight. 10lbs is a high loss for 2 weeks. It may have been a lot of water weight that is now being regulated. You may start losing again after a week or if you did enter starvation mode, it may take a month.
    You should make sure your goals are set correctly, make sure that you aren't trying to lose too much, too fast.

Best wishes.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Eating 700-900 calories is beyond too low. You are starving your body- meaning your organs. It will cause damage. Especially to your brain (part of the reason anorexics become the way they are and stay that way). Definitely eat more than 1200 especially on the days you work out.

Good luck.
  • Catz15
    Catz15 Posts: 19
    Options
    I agree, not to go really low on calorie intake -1200 cals is a good number. Eat right and work out.