protein??

Options
is too much protein a bad thing?? i don't eat meat and have always supplemented it in other ways. i have protein shakes, nuts, eggs, tofu, and what not. and because of these substitutes i seem to be going over on my protein on a regular basis everything else is moderate to my daily calorie, carb an fat intake. is this a bad thing and if so any ideas on what to do to change this??..
Thx
K

Replies

• kerryvivian
    Options
    is too much protein a bad thing?? i don't eat meat and have always supplemented it in other ways. i have protein shakes, nuts, eggs, tofu, and what not. and because of these substitutes i seem to be going over on my protein on a regular basis everything else is moderate to my daily calorie, carb an fat intake. is this a bad thing and if so any ideas on what to do to change this??..
    Thx
    K
  • daba
    daba Posts: 5
    Options
    No. too much protien is not a bad thing, it increases your bmr. be sure that your utilizing it by working out too because protein doesn't do much if your not working out too.
  • kerryvivian
    Options
    thx!! i work out 6 times a week and play recreational soccer twice a week
    so my numbers are pretty high to begin with
    as long as its not doing any harm im gonna continue as is ive lost 12 pounds so far, and been going for about a month so far!!
    thanks very much!
    K
  • cediyam
    cediyam Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thx
    K

I read a while back that high consumption of meat and seafood ( high in purine because muscle cells are packed with mitochondria, which have their own DNA and RNA) were found associated with an elevated risk of gout onset . However, high consumption of dairy products, high in protein but very low in DNA and RNA, was associated with a decrease in the incidence of gout.
    Since you mentioned you don't eat meat you should be fine.