people who DO NOT east back their exercise calories---

Options
Hello, is there anyone online that does not eat them back? My daily intake of calories is 1200, I work out and probably burn about 400, which makes me 'net' calories around 800 cals per day. Now people KEEP telling me to eat back my calories, but some people have said they don't and still lose weight.

ANyone here who don't eat them back and are losing weight fine?

Talk to me!
x

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    The people who succeed but still don't eat them all back are usually obese, it takes much much longer to hit starvation mode.

You should be eating at least 1/2 to fuel your body.

Others who don’t eat them back are very very petite like 5’ and under so 1000 net cal days are normal for them. 800 cal net days are NOT.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Well I don't eat them back.
    And I haven't had a problem with it yet.
    But then again, I'm not saying that you shouldn't eat them back either.
    I guess it depends on what your net ends up being.
    You have to try different things to see how they work for your body.
    What works for one person isn't going to work the same for the next.
  • makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    Options
    i dont think ive been eating them back, i eat my normal food days , i maybe eat less that a quarter of them back on occasion and so far ive lost 20lbs ...
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I eat a portion of them back usually. So far it's been working alright for me...
    I'm always above 1200 though, even without eating back all of those exercise calories.
  • wvmark41
    wvmark41 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I usually eat them back and I'm still losing weight. I found I lose the most weight when I exercise and eat back MOST of the calories (say 90%). I still have a high level of energy throughout the day which I'm sure keeps my metabolism high to keep burning the calories.

I hope you find something that works well for you.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I start off planning that I won't eat them back. However, I am at college and I never know when I am going to stay up later than expected. If I feel hungry after dinner, I will eat up to half of them back. Most of the time I don't really have a problem with feeling tired or fatigued. I do what my body tells me while eating at least 1,200 calories a day.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back unless I want something more than my daily cals allow. I'm considered obese so it may not affect me as it does someone else. My best advice to you would be to do what works for you. We all have different body types, different needs and different metabolisms so what works for me may not work for you.
  • SoFancySoBlessed
    SoFancySoBlessed Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I SAY IT DEPENDS....SOME DAYS I DO SOME DAYS I DONT AND I HAVE BEEN PRETTY CONSISTANT IN MY LOSES.....YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW HOW YOUR BODY WORKS.....IT WILL ALL BALANCE OUT! :heart:
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I work out just so I can eat more lol.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I asked my nutritionist about this and she said that you don't have to eat them back, but you should listen to your body. If you are getting hungry then make sure you eat (of course make sure it's still healthy!). I usually don't eat them back but on some days especially after a hard workout I will need to eat a little bit more to make sure I'm not too hungry. I will usually fill up on something like steamed veggies.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    You'll lose weight for awhile, but then you'll stall out when your metabolism adjusts itself for the lack of calories.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your weight. I am obese (almost not, but not quite yet) so I burn calories fast--it's easy to burn up 1000 in an hour and a half or so. I do not want to eat 2200 calories a day. (NO WAY!)

I try to stick around 1200 calories consumed regardless of what I exercise, but if I have a great workout I know that my body is going to need some more protein and calories just to function. When I get to where I work hard and can only burn 500 calories I probably will eat them back.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My net is usually negative. I don't eat back my exercise calories as I do about 2000 a day on average and it would be impossible - 'Oh, I've done a lot of exercise today I'll have 4 big macs'... Since January I lost 24lbs and have six to go. I do however take a relaxed attitude to the 1200, and will exceed it a bit if I have 'earned' a lot of cals and I feel hungry. Some days I don't hit 1200 and get a ticking off from MFP, I guess what's important is what works for YOU!

Very best regards, David
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i was eating them back, but then wasn't losing weight, just maintaining, so now I only eat some of them back, and my weight is dropping again.... but i usually listen to the way i feel. if i feel hungry or weak or just "not good" then I eat more, if I feel fine and have energy and don't feel like i need to eat, then i don't. like hush7 said, there is no one magic rule or magic number that will apply the same way to everyone, you just experiment and see what works for you and don't worry about what other people say... unless you plan on eating just crackers and water, then you should listen to what people say lol..... like right now, i'm about to have me some turkey and and black beans even though I already ate lunch cause i just finished working out and my tummy is GROWLING like a hungry bear in the forest. :happy:
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm not attempting to eat my exercise calories back but with how little I move around when I'm not exercising I have a feeling MFP may be over estimating how many calories I'm burning. Sedentary doesn't quite begin to describe my lifestyle, it's more like comatose to be perfectly honest. Once my general exercise level picks up (which it will definitely do when I move and can leave the house) I'll eat at least some of them back.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them all back, but I've been making sure I've netted at least 1200. I'm thinking of just eating 1200 and not eating any exercise cals back for the next 2 months. We're going to visit my parents in the summer and being there, all my good habits fall by the wayside. I'm trying to get down to under 200, hoping that if I'm there (which I haven't been in more years than I can remember), it will be incentive to eat right and exercise. I am really obese so I figure doing it for 2 months shouldn't be that big a deal.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I dont eat them..BUT if I'm really hungry when my calories are used up 1200-1400 daily then I eat fruit or small salad
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I used to not eat them back and I was losing weight much slower than I did when I was eating them.... choice is up to the individual
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I have not ever eaten my exercise calories, but I have been looking into this. Most people seem to take a strong stand on one side or the other, so it's tough to decide what is true =\
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat those cals back I've burned but most of the time I don't. I just listen to my body on whether it feels hungry or not...I drink plenty of water also. I know alot of people say to eat them back but I'm not sure if I agree with it, but thats just my opinion. Whatever works for them :)