Working with weights

Options
I've just started to work my upper body with dumbells and was wondering if this would help my overall weightloss or just make me look more toned up. I do around an hour or more of walking a day too and hoped that combining that with stomach crunches and working my arms and shoulders with dumbells I might just achieve a little bit more weightloss.

Any help appreciated.

Replies

• kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether it helps with loss on the scale, it will definitely make your waist and stomach look smaller. One of the best things women can do is to get some shoulder muscles.
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Lean muscle will burn more calories a day, so if you gain a bit more muscle on your body your body will burn more calories during the day. Also, doing weight bearing and strengthing exercises help to prevent osteoporosis.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I would recommend working your entire body, especially your legs. Legs are your biggest muscle, as your body is repairing your muscles, it is burning a lot more calories, speeding your metabolism, and helping to get you that "toned" look.

Don't get intimidated by the men in the squat rack. Squats are an awesome workout for your legs, and core, and you'll see better results with squats, than you will with any ab work.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Weightlifting while in a calorie deficit helps ensure that the weight you lose will not come from your muscles.