First 10K tomorrow morning

Options
hng2101
hng2101 Posts: 54 Member
My boyfriend and I are running our first 10K tomorrow after a month and a half of running. We usually run between 2-3 miles 5 days a week. 1 day a week we'll run a little more (usually between 5 and 7K). We've both gotten a lot faster and we're running 23-24 minute 5Ks. We decided to up the ante tomorrow and run our first 10K. Any advice? We're shooting to finish w/in 1 hour--is that feasible for a first time?

Replies

• Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Wow that is SUPER! 23-24 minute 5ks is INCREDIBLE - just knowing that, you will definitely be able to finish a 10k - you are FIT! My only advice would be to slow your pace down a bit since you haven't ran that distance before - it is a little jump! You would risk great injury trying to run it at the pace you've done a 5k at this point. Under an hour sounds like a great goal and TOTALLY feasible! :) BEST OF LUCK! Just remember to pace yourself!

PS. Also, 5 days a week is a TON of running, so you'll definitely be fine! In the future, you might want to consider looking into incorporating strength training and cutting back on the running in order to give your running muscles a break and reduce the risk of injury and the inability for those muscles to recover. Something like 3 days a week running and 2 of strength on the inbetween days is a program I think lots of people do!
  • hng2101
    Options
    Thanks! I will definitely focus on pacing since that's been a struggle before.
  • Delboy1961
    Delboy1961 Posts: 26
    Options
    +1 on the advice about pace.Its not recommended to increase time or distance by more than 10% or you risk injury

Disclaimer this advice comes from man who has had to take a week off with "runners knee" from doing too much to soon lol
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Don't tire yourself out in the first 2 km, pace yourself, but push yourself once you are past 6k. You should finish the race knackered! I did 64 mins on my first 10k, but the furthest I had run before that was 6k.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Best of luck and be sure to tell us how you did!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k race in early April, finishing 24 minutes. I signed up for a 10k in June of this year and my goal is to finish in under 60 minutes. Seeing our goals are about the same my guess is you're on target. On my long run days now I'm running 7 miles at 9:17 pace so I think I'll be able to meet my goal as long as the hills don't slow me down too much.
  • guidnca
    guidnca Posts: 64
    Options
    A sub hour 10k is very feasible if you pace right. You are doing 23 minute 5K's and that means you have the cardio to run very fast. My PR is 24 minutes for a 5K and I have a 50 minute 10K. Start easier, slowly dial up the speed and and check how you feel at 4 miles then launch from there. We will want a report.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Good luck, hope you enjoy it. :)
  • hng2101
    Options
    We did the 10K in 51:41! We kept a steady pace the entire time according to Nike+ too!

It really wasn't as bad as I thought--I was really nervous before actually running it!

What was really cool was we chose a route down Santa Monica so I "window shopped" clothes I could never afford while we ran :-)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!!!!!! Congrats!!!
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Best of luck to you!

I just signed up to do my first 5k...(I wont say run my first 5k) I am just hoping to run more than walk
  • rocky63
    rocky63 Posts: 3
    Options
    First congrats on the attempt. Only advice i have is go at your own pace dont start to fast and have fun.I love 10k they let you stretch your legs more than 5 ks and you can get a good pace.