craving crunchy

Gemini_at_36
Gemini_at_36 Posts: 207
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
OMG either I am not cultured enough or my taste buds are odd but PUMPKINS SEEDS ARE YUCK! YUCK! YUCK! Did I mention YUCK? Not worth the calories. I have found soy nuts, which are good. Have had them 2 days in a row now... Any suggestions on crunchy cravings (full of protein, low in fat, low in cal?)

Replies

• CharleneN
    CharleneN Posts: 28 Member
    I don't have any suggestions, but I do agree that pumpkin seeds are nasty...I've tried them and tried them again and they are GROSS! :sick:
  • sleepy7
    sleepy7 Posts: 104
    brazil nuts are pretty good. they have a different taste, but are great for you :)
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Oh my goodness! I love pumpkin seeds! We make our own once a year (on Halloween). I can't wait till this year! Anyone know where I can buy them so I don't have to wait? And I have no idea...maybe carrots, celery...but protien? Not really sure.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Someone made a good suggestions about pepperoni chips.. slices of pepperoni microwaved for 30 seconds, become crispy and drains out most of the fat... 130 calories for 16 and YUM!
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Yeah everyone must be different I guess. Any seeds are nice to me, but soy is pretty nasty!
  • Galluzzo1
    Galluzzo1 Posts: 4
    Lightly salted sunflower kernels are great.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Blue Diamond almonds are great. And they have cinnamon ones that come in 100 cal packs. Special K crackers are good, not real high in protein though. But taste like wheat tins and are only 90 cal for 17 crackers. Those plus a wedge of light laughing cow cheese are one of my fav snacks.
  • jakemg
    jakemg Posts: 42
    Although they're not full of protein, I tend to eat a lot of celery. Crunchy, so it satisfies that. It also doesn't have many calories, so I eat it to snack and help me feel full so I don't overeat.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Edward and Sons Brown Rice Vegetable Snaps (8 crackers) with a little 1" cube of brie cheese = 110 cals.

Good quality (Lundberg organic) rice cakes with one T. of almond butter = 170 cals.

Air popped popcorn with nutritional yeast flakes sprinkled on (tastes buttery!) Not sure of the cals, but it can't be much. Which reminds me, I need to get an air pooper. LOL oops! I mean popper and some yeast flakes. Great snackie!

Let's see, what else.... well, mind has gone blank... I'll send more ideas if I think of any.

Cheers! :drinker:
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    bugs
  • AbbieK06
    AbbieK06 Posts: 15
    I thought I was the only person that craved "crunchy"! Glad to know I'm not alone. :)
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    I've heard lots of people (actual friends) raving about Kale Chips... you buy fresh kale, wash it, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and then bake until crispy... I can't promise they're good, but its worth a shot once! Also, on a pretty high volume yummy snack, I really like PopChips!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/surprises-shockers-and-swaps-baked-kale-recipe
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    I don't know about protien but I love air popped popcorn drizzled with a little REAL butter. Yum.
This discussion has been closed.